Plane crash map Locate crash sites, wreckage and more

N6791G accident description

Arkansas map... Arkansas list
Crash location 34.173056°N, 91.935555°W
Nearest city Pine Bluff, AR
34.228431°N, 92.003196°W
5.4 miles away
Tail number N6791G
Accident date 02 Aug 2003
Aircraft type Cessna 150L
Additional details: None

NTSB Factual Report

On August 2, 2003, at 1430 central daylight time, a Cessna 150L, N6791G, operated by a private pilot, nosed over during a forced landing on a dirt road in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, following a loss of engine power. The pilot was not injured and the airplane sustained substantial damage. The 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight was operating in visual meteorological conditions without a flight plan. The last departure point was the Carlisle Municipal Airport (4M3) at approximately 1400.

The pilot reported that he was making a cross country flight from Monroe (MLU), Louisiana, to Mountain Home, Arkansas. The pilot reported he departed MLU around 0830 and he made a quick stop in Dumas (0M0), Arkansas. He then continued on the flight and upon reaching Stuggart (SGT), Arkansas, clouds started to develop. He stated that according to his sectional chart, fuel was available at SGT so he decided to land, refuel and get a weather update. The pilot stated that upon landing, he was informed that they had run out of fuel. He and an attendant at the airport called several of the surrounding airports in an attempt to find fuel, however, they were unsuccessful at getting in touch with anyone. According to the pilot, the attendant told him that a new fuel pump was installed at 4M3, so he knew they had fuel. The attendant reported that the pilot landed at SGT around 1200, and he departed there about 1330.

The pilot reported that after arriving at 4M3, the only fuel pump he found had a sign indicating that it was diesel fuel. The pilot stated he lifted the fuel nozzle and verified that it was not aviation fuel. The pilot reported he then decided to fly to Pine Bluff (PBF) where he knew they had fuel. He reported the engine quit when he was approximately 5 miles north of the airport. He stated the right fuel tank quantity indicator was showing one-quarter of a tank and the left fuel tank quantity indicator was bouncing between one-quarter tank and empty.

The pilot reported that due to nearby obstructions, he elected to land on a small dirt road in a soybean field. He stated "After hurriedly hitting the flaps, and not hearing the flaps or feeling the inevitable drag caused by the flaps, the most alarming phase of the landing occurred. An otherwise simple, short-field landing had turned into a landing with a greater than expected ground speed, probably too low and too late to try a slip." He stated there were trees and a plow at the end of the road. The pilot stated that as the airplane touched down, he heard the flap motor running. The pilot reported, "As the trees ahead became closer I could sense that I had too much speed to stop in what I thought might be a safe distance from the trees and knew I had to turn, at the last moment and go into the soybean rows to dissipate the forward speed." He reported that once in the field, the airspeed decreased and the airplane nosed over.

The pilot reported he departed MLU at an airplane Hobbs time of 2,808.0 hours and the accident occurred at an airplane Hobbs time of 2,811.7 hours.

The pilot reported, "If PIC had placed more emphasis on reliance of flight planning rather than fuel gauges, a better indication of fuel remaining may have been evident." On the NTSB Form 6120.1/2 completed by the pilot, he indicated that there was no mechanical malfunction or failure with the airplane.

NTSB Probable Cause

Inadequate preflight planning which resulted in fuel exhaustion during the cross country flight. A factor associated with the accident was the rough terrain encountered during the forced landing.

© 2009-2020 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.