Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N29G accident description

Go to the Arizona map...
Go to the Arizona list...
Crash location 33.818056°N, 111.897777°W
Reported location is a long distance from the NTSB's reported nearest city. This often means that the location has a typo, or is incorrect.
Nearest city Carefree, AZ
33.822261°N, 111.918203°W
1.2 miles away

Tail number N29G
Accident date 02 Sep 2003
Aircraft type BACON Questair #20 Venture
Additional details: None

NTSB description

On September 2, 2003, at 0550 mountain standard time, an experimental Bacon Questair #20 Venture airplane, N29G, struck a wall during an aborted landing on runway 24 and was destroyed in a post-impact fire at the Sky Ranch at Carefree (18AZ), Carefree, Arizona. The private pilot/owner and one passenger were fatally injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the cross-country flight that departed the Albuquerque International Sunport Airport (ABQ), Albuquerque, New Mexico, at 0302. An instrument flight rules (IFR) flight had been filed. The pilot cancelled the IFR flight plan prior to reaching 18AZ.

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, who responded to the accident site, stated that the airplane touched down at a point 2/3rd's of the way down the runway length, where he observed tire skid marks on the runway. According to the tire tracks and skid marks, the airplane veered to the right, crossing over a section of dirt before entering the taxiway. Once on the taxiway the airplane tracked straight on the pavement for a distance. Witnesses heard the engine power up at this point. The tracks then turned back towards the runway. As the airplane traveled at a 45-degree angle to the runway, it crossed a section of dirt, where the left main landing gear struck a visual approach slope indicator (VASI) light. The airplane started to porpoise across the runway, and continued off the runway, still at a 45-degree angle. The airplane became airborne and flew over a wash. After crossing the wash the airplane flew into a wall.

Witnesses who observed the accident saw only portions of the accident. Not one witness observed the accident from start to finish.

One witness on the airport stated that when the pilot powered up the engine they did not hear anything abnormal. They also stated that as the airplane became airborne it was flying at a 45-degree angle nose up, but not climbing, just before it struck the wall and burst into flames.

According to another witness, who was driving in a westerly direction prior to the accident, the airplane was traveling in the same direction. He noted his cars' speed at 40 mph, and stated that it appeared that the airplane was going much faster.

Another witness, who was out walking his dog about 1/8 mile east of the airport, heard a noise and looked up into the sky. When he saw the airplane, he looked down at his watch and noted that it was 0550. A curfew existed for 18AZ that ended at 0600. The witness stated that the airplane's engine was idled back, but that the airplane was high and traveling fast.

The airframe was destroyed in the collision sequence and post crash fire.


The Maricopa County Coroner conducted an autopsy on the pilot on September 3, 2003. A toxicological analysis was performed by the FAA Civil Aeromedical Institute, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, from samples obtained during the autopsy. The results of the analysis were negative for carbon monoxide, cyanide, ethanol, and drugs.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.