Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N222CH accident description

Go to the Florida map...
Go to the Florida list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Lakeland, FL
28.039465°N, 81.949804°W

Tail number N222CH
Accident date 16 Apr 1996
Aircraft type Hawker Siddeley FB-60
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On April 16, 1996, about 1456 eastern daylight time, a Hawker Siddeley FB-60, N222CH, registered to a private owner operating as a 14 CFR Part 91 aerial demonstration flight, crashed on landing rollout at the Lakeland Linder Regional Airport, Lakeland, Florida. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed. The airplane sustained substantial damage. The commercial pilot was fatally injured. The flight originated from Lakeland, Florida, about 46 minutes before the accident.

Witnesses observed the airplane land on runway 27 with a crosswind from the right. The airplane touched down on the main gear and decelerated to a three-point attitude. The airplane was observed to veer to the right and the tail section became airborne. No change in engine noise was heard. The airplane went off the right side of the runway, nosed over and came to rest inverted.

A review of video tape shown on Channel 8 television of Tampa, Florida, revealed that N222CH's left aileron was up, flaps full down, and both elevator surfaces were up on the landing rollout, and during the accident sequence. See NTSB Specialist Report of Investigation.


The pilot forwarded a letter of application to the FAA Fort Worth FSDO, requesting a Letter of Authorization (LOA) be issued by the FAA designating him as a pilot-in-command of a Hawker FB-60 in September 1995. He indicated in the application that he had flown a two-place Hawker Sea Fury for 1 hour. In addition, a copy of the Hawker Training Plan, listing the ground training and solo flight training received, and a letter of recommendation from an evaluator was submitted to the FAA. The LOA was granted by the FAA on September 7, 1995.

A review of the pilot's logbook revealed the pilot had recorded as logged 28.5 total hours in N222CH. No dual instruction was recorded as logged. The last recorded flight was on April 1, 1996. According to Ezell Aviation Inc., N222CH was delivered to the registered owner with .5 total hours. The Hobbs time at the crash site was 40.2 hours. The pilot had accumulated 39.7 total hours in the airplane. For additional first pilot information see page 3 of this report.


Review of aircraft logbooks revealed the airplane was reassembled on August 8, 1995. The airplane was test flown on September 6, 1995, and delivered to the registered owner with .5 total Hobbs hours. The turnover structure was removed and replaced with a jump seat at the registered owner's request. The right wheel and brake caliper were replaced on March 25, 1996, at 23.9 hours Hobbs time. The left and right brake pucks were replaced on April 4, 1996, at 32.9 hours Hobbs time. There were no other recorded logbook entries pertaining to the brake system. The Hobbs time at the crash site was 40.2 hours. For additional aircraft information see page 2 of this report.


Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The surface winds at the time of the accident were 360-degrees at 6 knots. For additional weather information see page 4 of this report.


The wreckage of N222CH was located on the north side of runway 27 about 3,850 feet west of the east end of the runway with about 2,150 feet of runway remaining. The airplane came to rest inverted on a heading of 135 degrees. The landing gear was extended and the flaps were in the full down position. All four propeller blades were bent aft with evidence of torsional twisting, "s" bending, and chordwise scarring. Scuff marks were present on the right inboard main landing gear tire. No scuff marks were present on the left main landing gear tire. The main fuel tank, and left and right main fuel tanks were not ruptured.

Examination of runway 27, revealed evidence of intermittent left main landing gear braking (tire marks) on the centerline of the runway adjacent to the 5,000-foot runway marker. The intermittent braking extended for 439 feet, and became continuous until the airplane departed the runway. A continuous right main landing gear brake application was present 400 feet west of the left brake application. Both the left and right main landing gear tire marks veered to the right. The right main tire marks had signatures consistent with tire side loading present on the runway. Propeller slashes began about 30 feet from the edge of the runway, and continued in the dirt off the side of the runway until the airplane nosed over.

Examination of the airframe and flight control assembly revealed no evidence of a precrash mechanical failure or malfunction. Continuity of the flight control system was confirmed for pitch, roll, and yaw.

A functional test of the brake system was completed with the aide of a power cart and the airplane's auxiliary hydraulic system. The auxiliary hydraulic system pressurized normally. There was no visible brake caliper leakage, and no abnormal wear on the brake disk or linings.


Post-mortem examination of the pilot was conducted by Dr. Alexander M. Melamud, Associate Medical Examiner, District Ten, Bartow, Florida, on April 17, 1996. The cause of death was postural asphyxia. Post-mortem toxicology of specimens from the pilot was performed by the Forensic Toxicology Research Section, Federal Aviation Administration, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. These studies were negative for alcohol, neutral, acidic, and basic drugs.


The airplane was released to Mr. Steven M. Homenda, Southeast Regional Claims Manager, Loss Management Services, Inc., Orlando, Florida, on April 17, 1996.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.