Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N139JP accident description

Go to the Georgia map...
Go to the Georgia list...
Crash location 33.519445°N, 84.119167°W
Reported location is a long distance from the NTSB's reported nearest city. This often means that the location has a typo, or is incorrect.
Nearest city Lilburn, GA
33.890104°N, 84.142972°W
25.6 miles away

Tail number N139JP
Accident date 29 Dec 2001
Aircraft type Cessna C-210N
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On December 29, 2001, at 1230 eastern standard time, a Cessna 210N, N139JP, registered to and operated by the commercial pilot, collided with trees and subsequently the ground in a residential area in Lilburn, Georgia shortly after takeoff from the Dekalb-Peachtree Airport in Chamblee, Georgia. The airplane was operated under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91, and instrument flight rules. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a instrument flight rules flight plan was filed for the personal flight. The pilot sustained fatal injuries and the airplane was destroyed by impact and post-crash fire. The flight departed Dekalb-Peachtree airport on December 29, 2001, at 1223, enroute to Tampa, Florida.

According to air traffic controllers at the Decalb-Peachtree airport and pilots flying in the local area, the pilot radioed after takeoff that he was experiencing what "sounded like trim problems" but was not specific as to the nature of the problem. The airplane collided with trees and the ground 8.5 nautical miles east of the Dekalb-Peachtree airport.


The commercial pilot held ratings in single and multi-engine land instrument airplanes and a private pilot certificate in helicopters. Additionally, the pilot was type rated in the AC-1121, CJ-1123 and the DA-20. The pilot's limited second class medical certificate was issued on April 1, 2001, with a restriction that he must wear corrective lenses. The pilot reported on his medical certificate application that his total civilian flight hours was 6,500.


The Cessna 210N, S/N 210-63810, was a four seat, single engine airplane. The airplane's most recent annual inspection was completed on September 19, 2001. The airplane had accumulated 3,839 hours total time at the time of that inspection. The airplane was originally delivered to Belgium then imported into the United States on November 19, 1996. Maintenance history and accident history prior to that date remains unknown. The airplane had been involved in another event on August 9, 2000 when the commercial pilot lost visibility due to heavy rain and attempted a go-around. The nose gear contacted a fence, and, on the subsequent landing, the nose gear collapsed.


Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The reported weather at the Dekalb- Peachtree Airport at 1201 were, clouds scattered at 3100 feet, overcast at 4000 feet, visibility 10 statue miles, wind 330 degrees at 10 knots, temperature 12 degrees Celsius, dew point 4 degrees Celsius and altimeter setting of 29.89 inches of mercury.


Examination of the wreckage site found the airplane in the street of a nearby residential area. (The airplane had struck several trees in the area and subsequently the ground and was consumed by the post-crash fire). The engine was found separated from the airframe and resting about 100 feet forward of the main wreckage. The cabin, flight controls and instruments were all fire damaged. The left wing was separated from the airplane. The wreckage was recovered by Atlanta Air Salvage, Griffin, Georgia for further examination.

On January 9th and 10th, 2002, the airplane was further examined. During the examination it was found that the inboard wings and cabin area down to the floorboards were consumed by the post-crash fire. The landing gear was observed in the up position. Flight control cable continuity was established from the cockpit to both the elevator and rudder systems. The elevator trim tab control cables were observed separated in a tension type separation near the pulleys at aft fuselage. The cables changed from a forward/aft orientation to an inboard/outboard orientation at these pulleys. The aileron cables were cut during the recovery and continuity could not be established.

The forward horizontal stabilizer attachment fittings were separated from the forward spar. The horizontal stabilizer root fairings and the lower skin of the aft fuselage restricted it's up and down movement. All of the rivets attaching the stabilizer attachment fitting to the aft fuselage bulkhead were observed separated. The flaps were observed in the retracted position. No pre-existing structural failures were identified during the examination.

Examination of the engine found the oil sump, oil cooler, and exhaust system crushed. The intake pipes and rocker covers on #1, 3, and 5 cylinders were broken. The spark plugs were removed for examination, and all plugs exhibited normal combustion deposits. All piston crowns were examined with a fiber optic light, and all exhibited normal combustion deposits. The fuel pump was removed and the pump was free to rotate, and the drive shaft was intact. The entire fuel system was destroyed during the post-crash fire. It was not possible to rotate the engine due to broken valve components. The crankcase was intact, with no breakage noted. There was no abnormal oil leakage or fire damage noted on the engine. No pre-existing mechanical failures were identified during the examination.


A post mortem examination of the pilot was conducted by the Gwinnett County Medical Examiner in Lawrenceville, Georgia. The cause of death was listed as blunt-force trauma. In a subsequent statement, the Medical Examiner listed as other significant conditions Atherosclerotic Coronary Artery Disease. The medical examiner stated that "The discovery of severe coronary arteriosclerosis suggests the decedent may have experienced cardiac dysrhythmias prior to impact, although an autopsy cannot confirm such an event. Because lethality of a potential cardiac dysrhythmia cannot be assumed under the current circumstances, the manner of death is best ruled accident".

A Toxicology examination of the pilot was conducted by the FAA Toxicology Research Laboratory. The examination revealed no Carbon Monoxide, Cyanide, or Ethanol were detected in the blood. Additionally, there were no drugs detected in the urine.

Vitreous and Urine were tested for the presence of glucose with reagent strips and by enzymatic spectrophotometer analysis. Postmortem vitreous glucose levels above 125 mg/dL are considered abnormal and postmortem urine levels above 100 mg/dL are considered abnormal. Glucose levels considered abnormal are reported as positive. Hemoglobin A1C was analyzed using a latex immunoagglutination inhibition methodology. Hemoglobin A1C blood levels above 6 percent are considered abnormal and are reported as positive. The following are the reported levels for the above tests: 230 (mg/dL) Glucose detected in Vitreous, 1870 (mg/dL) Glucose detected in Urine, and 8.6 percent Hemoglobin A1C detected in the blood.


The wreckage was released to the owners representative Atlanta Air Salvage, in Griffin, Georgia.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.