Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N4895K accident description

Go to the Illinois map...
Go to the Illinois list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Savoy, IL
40.054753°N, 88.251717°W

Tail number N4895K
Accident date 12 Nov 1994
Aircraft type Cessna P210N
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On November 12, 1994, at 1857 central standard time, a Cessna P210N, N4895K, registered to an individual and operated by an instrument rated private pilot impacted trees and the terrain one-quarter mile southeast of runway 14R (8,100' x 150' wet/concrete) at the Willard Airport, Savoy, Illinois. The airplane was destroyed by impact and a post crash fire. The pilot and three passengers sustained fatal injuries. The personal 14 CFR Part 91 flight was operating in instrument meteorological conditions. An IFR flight plan was on file. The flight was departing at the time of the accident with the intended destination of Naperville, Illinois.

The Sheriff's report indicated that there were eyewitnesses to the accident; however, during the post accident investigation no persons were located who stated that they actually saw the airplane after it departed the airport and prior to the impact and post accident fire. One air traffic controller, working the local position, at the Willard Airport air traffic control tower (ATCT) stated that he observed the accident airplane turn onto runway 14R at intersection taxiway "B, initiate a takeoff and initial climb, and... enter the bases of the clouds... ." A number of people reported seeing a fire after the accident occurred. The ATCT became aware of the accident when another aircraft called ground control and reported seeing an "explosion" off the airport. The local controller then picked up binoculars and identified a fire which he estimated to be one half to one mile off the departure end of runway 14R.


Two small trees sustained damage from impact of the airplane.


The pilot was born April 8, 1937, He was the holder of private pilot certificate number 334306610, with privileges for single engine land and instrument airplane. At the time of the accident he had accumulated a total flight time of 1,437 hours with 423 hours in this make and model of airplane, 130 hours of actual instrument flight, 137 hours of simulated instrument time, and 261 hours of night flight. His most recent biennial flight review was conducted eight months prior to the accident in the accident airplane. His third class medical was dated August 27, 1993. He received an instrument competency check the day prior to the accident in a fixed instrument simulator.


The airplane was a Cessna P210N, N4895K, serial number P210- 00357. The most recent annual inspection was conducted on October 18, 1994, at 3,542 hours time in service. At the time of the annual inspection the engine had a total time of 1,322 hours and 231 hours since a major overhaul. The most recent inspection of the pitot/static system, altimeter and transponder check was conducted on June 15, 1993.


A weather observation taken three minutes after the accident was reported as ceiling 800 overcast, visibility 2 miles fog and drizzle, with winds from 170 degrees at 10 knots.


The only radio communications with the accident airplane occurred prior to the accident when no indication of difficulties were reported to the ATCT. ATCT gave taxi and takeoff instructions and an IFR clearance was issued in the radio communications prior to the aircraft departing runway 14R. A transcript of radio transmissions between ATCT and the accident airplane, is included as an addendum to this report.


Initial impact marks were located on 20 foot high trees about one quarter mile southeast of the departure end of runway 14R. The elevation of the tree tops approximated the elevation of the departure runway. Portions of the left horizontal stabilizer and elevator were found near the base of the trees. The airplane then struck the ground on an east southeast heading and a flat indentation about six inches deep and 15 feet long was made in the ground one hundred feet east of the trees. A belly mounted antenna was found in the indentation and to the left of the flat depression was a straight gouge in the ground oriented in the direction of travel, consistent with the location of the left wing tip. Nearby portions of a red navigation lens was found. The wreckage path continued for an additional 300 feet where various portions of the engine and airframe were located. These included portions of the interior and the left main cabin door. The fuselage came to rest inverted and headed northwest. The propeller was located to the south of the main wreckage path. The blades were distorted, bent and twisted. There were deep gouges present in the leading edges and tips. There was polishing of the camber side. The propeller had separated from the engine assembly at the propeller flange. leaving the attaching bolts in the flange on the engine. The engine had continued about 100 feet beyond the airframe and remained upright.

The oil cap was missing from the engine. Close examination of debris outside the fire area were examined for the presence of oil. The top engine cowling was found away from the fire and had little evidence of oil on the inside. A thorough search was conducted looking for the cap between the departure runway to the accident site and to date is has not been located. A check of the records at the fixed base operator's office where the most recent fuel service was performed, prior to the accident, revealed no oil being added to the airplane.

Flight control continuity was confirmed through the wings, fuselage and empennage. Engine control continuity was destroyed during the impact and loss of the engine during the impact sequence, and the fire damage to the cockpit and firewall; however, post accident examination of the airframe failed to reveal any pre-existing anomalies.


A post mortem examination of the pilot was conducted by the Coroner of Champaign County, Illinois, on November 13, & November 14, 1994. No pre-existing anomalies were found during the autopsy. Specimens were obtained from the pilot and submitted for toxicological examination and were found to be negative for those drugs screened.


A post impact fire consumed much of the cockpit and cabin including the interior and instrument panel. The airplane had been serviced with fuel prior to the departure. The ignition source was not identified; however, during the impact sequence there was a general disintegration of the airframe and a fuel fire was evident throughout the wreckage path from the initial ground impact site to where the fuselage came to rest.


On February 22, 1995, at the Teledyne Continental Motors, Mobile, Alabama, the engine was examined and disassembled. A visual examination of the exterior and interior of the engine was conducted and no abnormalities were discovered during this examination that could be attributed to other than impact and post impact fire.

On February 22, 1995, at the Teledyne Continental Motors, Mobile, Alabama, the turbocharger was examined and disassembled for inspection. The damage to the turbocharger assembly was associated with impact and nothing was found during the post accident examination which could be associated as pre-existing anomalies.


Local pilots who use Willard Airport on a regular basis stated that departure utilizing runway 14R during periods of darkness and reduced visibility provides the pilot with little or no visual ques when the airplane is in the initial climb attitude. They report there are scant sources of light once the airplane reaches the end of the departure runway.

Parties to the investigation were the Federal Aviation Administration, Flight Standards District Office, Springfield, Illinois; Cessna Aircraft, Wichita, Kansas; Teledyne Continental Motors, Mobile, Alabama; and Allied Signal Aerospace, Phoenix, Arizona.

The airplane wreckage was released to an insurance company representative of the owner of the airplane on November 18, 1994.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.