Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N5005Q accident description

Go to the Illinois map...
Go to the Illinois list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Rockford, IL
42.248354°N, 89.074272°W

Tail number N5005Q
Accident date 19 Aug 1993
Aircraft type Cessna 310N
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On August 19, 1993, at 2209 central daylight time (CDT), a Cessna 310N, N5005Q, crashed after takeoff from the Rockford Regional Airport, Rockford, Illinois. The airplane was destroyed. The commercial pilot and the sole passenger aboard the airplane were fatally injured. An IFR flight plan was filed for the personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the mishap.

The Rockford Air Traffic Control Tower cleared the pilot for takeoff on runway 25, instructed him to turn left to a heading of 120, and climb to an altitude of 5,000 feet at 2206:36. At 2206:43, the pilot acknowledged the takeoff clearance and instructions. At 2208:36, Rockford departure control reported radar contact with the airplane, and issued the pilot clearance to fly direct to Dupage Airport, his intended destination. The pilot acknowledged the clearance at 2208:40. This was the last radio transmission received from the pilot. At 2209:22, the signal from an emergency locator transmitter (ELT) was received by Rockford departure control, and verified by a military airplane in the area. The ELT stopped at 2210:25.

Two truck drivers who were northbound on Interstate 39 about the 114 mile marker both reported a light plane made a turn above the highway toward the west then took a sharp dive and hit the ground. Both drivers stated they saw a flash and fireball.

Another witness was a tow truck driver who was in the parking lot of Maggio's Truck Plaza located at the intersection of Interstate 39 and Baxter Road. He stated he saw the airplane to the southwest heading for the ground. He reported the airplane was on fire, and looked like a meteor. He did not see the airplane hit the ground, but reported seeing the fireball.

The airplane crashed in a soybean field west of Interstate 39, and about one-half mile south of Baxter Road. The geographic location of the site, obtained by global positioning satellite (GPS) receiver, was 42 degrees-09.28 minutes N; 089 degrees-01.72 minutes W.


The pilot held a commercial pilot certificate with airplane, single and multiengine land ratings. He held an airplane instrument rating. The pilot had a first class medical certificate with no limitations.

The pilot's log books were not available for examination. From Federal Aviation Administration records, and the records of the operator of the airplane an estimate of the pilot's experience is 800 hours total flight time, 150 hours time in this model airplane, and 200 hours night time. The operator reported the pilot often rented this airplane.


The airplane was a Cessna 310N, serial number 310N-0105, manufactured in 1968. At the time of the accident, the airplane had accumulated 2553 total hours. The last inspection recorded in the airplane log books was an annual inspection performed on March 21, 1993. The airplane had been flown 112 hours since the last inspection.

The airplane was leased and operated by a flying club located at the Dupage Airport, West Chicago, Illinois.


The airplane was situated in a soybean field. The heading of the airplane was 280 degrees magnetic. There was an impact hole which contained pieces of the nose structure. Both propellers had separated from their respective engines and were buried in the ground on either side of the hole containing the pieces of nose structure.

Both wings were crushed in an accordion fashion, and the wing fuel tanks were ruptured. There was some fire scorching damage to both wings. Both main fuel tanks (tip tanks) were ruptured. Both main fuel tanks were scorched.

The cockpit and cabin were completely destroyed by fire. In the cockpit area, the instrument panel and all instruments were destroyed. The throttle quadrant was found with the throttle, propeller control, and mixture all full forward. Control cable continuity was established from the cockpit control pedestal to the elevator, rudder, and both ailerons.

The fuselage front spar carry-through structure was melted and completely missing from the right wing forward attach point to the left wing forward attach point. The fuselage rear spar carry-through structure had some fire damage, but was intact. The cockpit floor board, and the exterior skin of the airplane on the bottom of the cockpit area was missing from the forward cockpit bulkhead to the rear spar carry-through.

The airplane was removed from the crash site to a storage facility at the Rockford Regional Airport for further examination.

The starter cable for the right hand engine was devoid of insulation from the right wing forward attach point to within about 12 inches of the starter. The right hand starter was devoid of paint. There was a deep blue and brown discoloration on the right hand firewall behind the right starter. The right hand engine starter solenoid contact was blackened, and had a bright shiny area in the middle of the blackened area. Insulation on the right hand starter solenoid had melted and oozed out through the fabric wrapping. The starter cable for the right engine starter runs from the starter solenoid, which is located in the left engine nacelle, to the starter. This starter cable is routed along the front wing spar carry-through alongside the crossfeed fuel lines for both engines. The crossfeed fuel lines and the right engine starter cable come through the left forward wing attach fitting, across the forward side of the front spar carry-through and into the right wing through the right front wing attach fitting. A tee fitting in one of the crossfeed fuel lines provides fuel to the heater which is located in the nose compartment. The tee fitting is located on the forward side of the front spar carry-through. The remnants of both crossfeed fuel lines and the right engine starter cable were visible in the forward wing attach points.


An autopsy and toxicological examination was performed on both the pilot and passenger. The autopsies were performed by L.W. Blum, M.D., 1002 Nassau Parkway, Rockford, Illinois, 61107. The toxicology reports were negative.


The wreckage was released to Mr. Edward Wilson, as agent for the owner.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.