Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N1V accident description

Go to the Kentucky map...
Go to the Kentucky list...
Crash location 37.807778°N, 87.685555°W
Reported location is a long distance from the NTSB's reported nearest city. This often means that the location has a typo, or is incorrect.
Nearest city Henderson, KY
37.836154°N, 87.590013°W
5.6 miles away

Tail number N1V
Accident date 27 Apr 2003
Aircraft type Starnes Quickie Q-200
Additional details: None

NTSB description

On April 27, 2003, at 1330 eastern daylight time, an amateur built Quickie Q-200, N1V, was destroyed while departing from the Henderson City-County Airport, Henderson, Kentucky. The certificated private pilot was fatally injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the personal flight conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

According to witnesses, the pilot had performed several hours of high-speed taxi runs with the accident airplane before the day of the accident. On the day of the accident, the pilot again performed high-speed taxi tests, and determined that the engine "sounded good and the airplane handled steady."

The accident flight was the first flight for the airplane. As the airplane departed from runway 9, a 5,504-foot long, 75-foot wide, asphalt runway, it climbed to an altitude of about 30 feet, and began to porpoise. It then descended towards the runway, touched down hard, and the propeller struck the asphalt. The airplane bounced back into the air, and traveled for a short distance, before touching down hard again. It then veered off the left side of the runway, rolled over on it's left side, and came to rest inverted.

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector examined the accident site and airplane wreckage on April 28, 2003. He observed the airplane's first impact with the ground was about 656 feet from the takeoff point. The airplane then rolled for about 30 feet, before the propeller struck the runway surface about 20 times. The airplane continued for another 60 feet, and became airborne again. About 1,174 feet from the initial takeoff point, the airplane again struck the runway surface with the left canard. The airplane veered to the left, off the side of the runway, across a taxiway, and came to rest inverted in a grass field. A post crash fire ensued and consumed the wreckage.

Inspection of the remaining wreckage after the post-crash fire, revealed no abnormalities with the engine or airframe.

The winds recorded at the airport, about the time of accident, were from 120 degrees at 5 knots.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.