Plane crash map Locate crash sites, wreckage and more

N6598C accident description

Massachusetts map... Massachusetts list
Crash location 41.671111°N, 70.280278°W
Nearest city Hyannis, MA
41.652889°N, 70.282799°W
1.3 miles away
Tail number N6598C
Accident date 15 Oct 2004
Aircraft type Beech C24R
Additional details: None

NTSB Factual Report

On October 15, 2004, at 1445 eastern daylight time, a Beech C24R, N6598C, was substantially damaged during an in-flight fire and subsequent forced landing in Hyannis, Massachusetts. The certificated private pilot/owner was not injured. Instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) prevailed for the personal flight that originated at the Barnstable Boardman Municipal Airport (HYA), Hyannis, Massachusetts, destined for the Martha's Vineyard Airport (MVY), Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts. An instrument flight rule (IFR) flight plan was filed for the flight which was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

During a telephone interview, the pilot reported that he noticed a discrepancy after engine-start on the previous day. When he checked the magnetos during run-up, he did not get the customary "mag drop," and decided to fly the airplane to a repair station. Once airborne, the landing gear would not retract. The pilot landed at the Barnstable Airport, explained the problems to the fixed base operator, the repairs were done, and the airplane was returned to service on the day of the accident.

During run-up, the pilot verified that the magneto drop was satisfactory. He taxied out, and took off for Martha's Vineyard Airport. After takeoff, the landing retracted fully.

While being vectored for the Localizer Runway 24 Approach course, at his assigned altitude of 1,500 feet, in IMC, the pilot smelled smoke in the cockpit. As the pilot attempted to discern the source of the smoke, the engine stopped producing power, the nose of the airplane pitched down, and black smoke poured from the defroster vents.

The airplane was turned back toward the Barnstable Airport and the pilot transmitted "mayday" calls during the descent. When the airplane descended below the cloud layer, the pilot elected to land on a nearby golf course. He kept the landing gear retracted to maintain his glide, and performed a gear-up landing to a course fairway.

On October 16, 2004, the airplane was examined at the scene by inspectors from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission. Examination revealed "severe" fire damage to the engine accessory compartment between the firewall and the compartment baffle.

Further examination revealed that the fuel pressure line to the fuel pressure gauge was disconnected from its baffle fitting. According to inspectors, the line was "rerouted," and the line was held in place between an oil supply line and structural tubing. The baffle fitting showed extensive fire damage and heavy soot deposits. The "B" nut and the swage fitting on the disconnected fuel line were not damaged by fire.

Examination of the airplane's logbooks revealed that no entries were made that reflected repair work to the magnetos and the landing gear. Examination of the pilot's paid receipt revealed that in the description section, the mechanic wrote that he had "tapped" the gear motor, and it subsequently operated. The gear was cycled five times.

The mechanic also wrote, "Reinstalled P-leads on mags." According to an FAA inspector's statement, "To gain access to the left magneto, the fuel line must be moved out of the way."

The airplane had accrued 3,430 hours of total flight time. The most recent annual inspection was performed July 19, 2004, and the airplane had accrued 39 hours of flight time since that date.

The pilot held a private pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single engine land and instrument airplane. His most recent FAA third class medical certificate was issued April 1, 2004. He reported 3,090 hours of flight experience, 2,854 hours of which were in make and model.

At 1440, the weather reported at the Barnstable Airport included vertical visibility of 100 feet with 1/4 mile visibility in fog. The wind was calm, the temperature was 61 degrees Fahrenheit, the dewpoint was 59 degrees Fahrenheit, and the altimeter setting was 29.58 inches of mercury.

NTSB Probable Cause

The mechanic's failure to secure the fuel pressure line to the fuel pressure gauge fitting, which resulted in an engine compartment fire and a subsequent loss of engine power.

© 2009-2020 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.