Plane crash map Locate crash sites, wreckage and more

N9685A accident description

Maryland map... Maryland list
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Elkton, MD
39.606779°N, 75.833272°W
Tail number N9685A
Accident date 02 Jun 2001
Aircraft type Eaa Chapter 40 Cubby Sport Trainer
Additional details: None

NTSB Factual Report

On June 2, 2001, about 1735 eastern daylight time, a homebuilt Cubby Sport Trainer, N9685A, was substantially damaged after colliding with a Bellanca 7ECA, N5035G, during landing roll-out at Cecil County Airport/Raintree Airpark (58M), Elkton, Maryland. The Bellanca received minor damage. The certificated private pilot of the Cubby was not injured. The certificated flight instructor and the student pilot in the Bellanca were also not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for either local flight conducted under 14 CFR 91.

In a written statement, the pilot of the Cubby stated:

"At approximately 5:10 p.m., I took the Cubby in the local area practicing turns, stalls, and flight maneuvers. The Cubby is not [equipped] with an electrical system or radios. It was VFR conditions with light winds. I noticed a Piper Lance on a left downwind traffic pattern for runway 31 at Cecil County Airport and I descended to a traffic pattern altitude of 1,000 feet. I entered the traffic pattern at a 45-degree entry for a left downwind for runway 31, #2 behind the Lance. I scanned the local area, knowing that the Citabria was out flying somewhere in the local area on a training flight. At that time, I also noticed a training flight clearing the runway with an obvious runway 31 landing. The Lance landed. I did a standard approach downwind, base and final. I was #2 behind the Lance. I did a normal 3-point landing and touched down within the first third of runway 31. As I was slowing down on the runway, the Citabria suddenly appeared on my left side. I jumped on the brakes and our wingtips collided. I stopped the plane, shut off my fuel and my master switch and checked to be sure everyone was okay. After we talked for a few minutes, I assessed all the damage. I taxied the airplane back to the hangar and the Citabria also taxied back to the hangar."

In a written statement, the flight instructor of the Bellanca stated:

"Doing take-offs and landings at Raintree, winds about 130 [at 5 knots]. [Student] was in the front seat, and [flight instructor] was in the back seat. After landing and on roll out, looked up and [Cubby] on final over tree line. Thought he was making a low pass and pulled as far to the right of [runway] 13 as possible, and [Cubby] continued to landing. Both aircraft hit left wings on the runway at about 1840 local time"

In a telephone conversation, the flight instructor also stated that this was his last landing and he was taxiing back to the parking area when he observed the Cubby on short final. He pulled the airplane as far over as possible to the right of the runway to avoid a collision with the landing airplane. He was limited to how far he could pull the airplane over because the terrain to the right consisted of a steep embankment.

In a written statement, the student pilot in the Bellanca stated:

"[Flight instructor] and I were flying in the landing pattern for 13 Raintree doing take-offs and landings. We were using 13 as there was a slight tailwind on 31.

We had performed approx. 4 landings on 13 using the radio to communicate our intentions at all times.

As we were touching down on 13 we saw the Cubby on final for 31-we braked sharply and positioned the plane on the far right side of the runway.

The Cubby continued on short final and landed on the centerline. As the Cubby approached, I tried to move my body as far to the right and as low as I could get, believing that the wing would connect with the cockpit. At the last second, I closed my eyes and did not see the actual impact.

On impact, the Citabria was turned to the left and the tail wheel exited the runway. The airplane was immediately shutdown and [we] exited the aircraft."

A witness was driving along the taxiway when he observed the two airplanes. In a written statement he said:

"I saw the Citabria land onto 13. Winds were light, if any. The cub continued with the pattern for 31. The Citabria landed, saw the cub and pulled to the side of the runway onto the grass to avoid the now landing cub. The cub continued to land, then finally tried to slow and avoid the parked Citabria. The cub could not stop or avoid the Citabria. The two planes collided and spun slightly."

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector performed and on-scene examination. According to the inspector, the Bellanca sustained minor damage to the left wing tip. However, the left wing of the Cubby, sustained substantial damage to the forward wing spar and ribs.

On June 4, 2001, the airport manager issued a statement to all aircraft based at the airport. The statement stated that effective immediately all aircraft were "required to have an operable 2-way VHF transceiver (portable or permanent) and a minimum of one (1) approved strobe type anti-collision light. These are to be utilized and on during all operations. Antiques, homebuilts, experimentals and ultralights are NOT exempt."

Runway 13/31 was 2,635 feet long and 80 feet wide with displaced thresholds at both ends.

Winds at an airport about 15 nautical miles to the northeast, at 1751, were reported as calm.

NTSB Probable Cause

The Cubby pilot's inadequate visual lookout for the Bellanca on the runway, prior to landing.

© 2009-2020 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.