Plane crash map Locate crash sites, wreckage and more

N670CS accident description

Minnesota map... Minnesota list
Crash location 44.627778°N, 93.228056°W
Nearest city Lakeville, MN
44.649687°N, 93.242720°W
1.7 miles away
Tail number N670CS
Accident date 31 Jan 2003
Aircraft type Cessna 172
Additional details: None

NTSB Factual Report

On January 31, 2003, at 1702 central standard time, a Cessna 172, N670CS, sustained substantial damage during a forced landing to a field located on airport property at Airlake Airport (LVN), Lakeville, Minnesota. The airplane was departing from runway 30 (4,263 feet by 75 feet, asphalt) when the forced landing was initiated. The pilot was not injured. The 14 CFR Part 91 business flight was departing LVN en route to Eppley Airfield (OMA), Omaha, Nebraska. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed. An instrument flight plan was filed.

The pilot reported he arrived at the airport on Friday about 1600. He reported that he performed a preflight inspection, and cleaned the snow and ice off the top of the airplane. At 1645, he taxied out for takeoff, but was unable to obtain a takeoff clearance. He shut down the airplane and re-filed an instrument flight plan using his cellular telephone with Princeton FSS. At 1700, he departed on runway 30. He reported that the airplane accelerated normally and he climbed to 500 feet. He reported that he saw some geese and he turned to avoid them, but he "did not recall if he hit them." He reported the airplane began to "fall from the sky," and he turned back to the runway, but the airplane started to stall. He landed the airplane in a field next to the runway.

A witness reported he arrived at the scene of the accident on Friday about 1735. He reported the airplane was located about 800 feet to the south of the runway. He reported, "There was lots of ice and snow on top of the wings, also the tail section." He reported the "elevators, ailerons, flaps were loaded with ice." He reported that he observed the airplane the next morning during daylight. He reported, "It was obvious that there was heavy ice on the topside of all surfaces of the aircraft and it was sticking solid." Loose grass and dirt was found on top of the ice. He reported "only the leading edges looked clean." He reported that there had been an ice and snowstorm the night prior to the accident.

Another witness reported that on Saturday morning he observed that the leading edges of the wings were clean, but there was a layer of "hard, icy stuff aft of the leading edges." He reported that it had been snowing with freezing drizzle the last couple of days, but that there had been no freezing drizzle on Friday night.

An inspection of the airplane revealed no preexisting anomalies.

NTSB Probable Cause

The pilot's inadequate removal of ice and snow during the airplane preflight, and the subsequent loss of control due to the airplane being covered with ice.

© 2009-2020 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.