Plane crash map Locate crash sites, wreckage and more

N3533D accident description

Missouri map... Missouri list
Crash location 39.722223°N, 94.275556°W
Nearest city Cameron, MO
39.740280°N, 94.241057°W
2.2 miles away
Tail number N3533D
Accident date 16 Sep 2012
Aircraft type Jdt MINI-MAX Llc 1500R
Additional details: None

NTSB Factual Report


On September 16, 2012, about 1852 central daylight time, an experimental JDT Mini-Max LLC model 1500R light sport airplane, N3533D, was substantially damaged when it collided with terrain shortly after takeoff from the Cameron Memorial Airport (EZZ), Cameron, Missouri. The sport pilot, who was the sole occupant, was fatally injured. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 without a flight plan. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the personal flight. The local area flight was originating at the time of the accident.

A witness to the accident reported that he was outside his residence when he heard the accident airplane departing to the south. He initially heard the sound of the engine before he spotted the airplane climbing away from runway 17 at an estimated 45-degree nose up pitch attitude. The witness reported that he did not perceive any engine anomalies as the airplane climbed to about 350 feet above the ground, where it suddenly rolled to the right and entered a near vertical descent into terrain.


According to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, the accident pilot, age 52, held a sport pilot certificate, issued on October 9, 2010, with airplane single engine land rating. The pilot had never applied for an aviation medical certificate; however, the operation of a light-sport aircraft only required a valid driver's license. A search of FAA records showed no accident, incident, enforcement, or disciplinary actions.

The pilot's most recent logbook entry was dated August 12, 2012, at which time he had accumulated 72.8 hours total flight time, of which 38.5 hours were as pilot-in-command. The pilot's first recorded flight in the accident airplane was completed on June 11, 2011. He had accumulated 30 hours in the accident airplane as of the last logbook entry. He had flown 27.5 hours during the past year, 16 hours during the prior 6 months, and 10 hours during previous 90 days. There was no record that the pilot had flown during the 30 day period before the accident flight. All of the flight time accumulated during the previous year had been completed in the accident airplane.


The experimental light sport airplane was a 2002 JDT Mini-Max LLC model 1500R, serial number (s/n) 852. A two-stroke, two-cylinder, air cooled, 40-horsepower, Rotax model 447UL engine, s/n 5504279, powered the airplane. The engine was equipped with a three-blade Ivoprop propeller. The single-seat, tail-wheel equipped airplane was constructed of wood and fabric and had a maximum takeoff weight of 630 pounds.

According to FAA records, the airplane had already accumulated 195 hours when it received its experimental airworthiness certificate on November 23, 2007, by a designated airworthiness representative. A digital hour meter found in the wreckage indicated that the airplane had accumulated 253 hours total time at the time of the accident. The airplane maintenance records were not located during the on-scene investigation.


The closest weather observing station was located at the Midwest National Air Center Airport (GPH), about 28 miles south of the accident site. At 1855, the GPH automatic weather observing station reported: calm wind conditions, clear sky, surface visibility 10 miles, temperature 22 degrees Celsius, dew point 16 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting of 29.97 inches of mercury.

Astronomical data obtained from the United States Naval Observatory indicated that the local sunset was at 1923, about 31 minutes after the accident, and the end of civil twilight was at 1950.


The Cameron Memorial Airport (EZZ), a public-use airport, located about 2 miles southwest of Cameron, Missouri, was served by a single runway: 17/35 (4,000 feet by 75 feet, concrete). The airport elevation was 1,040 feet mean sea level (msl). According to airport data, there were trees, measuring 23 feet tall, located 1,200 feet from the departure end of runway 17 and 326 feet west of the extended runway centerline.


A postaccident investigation, completed by FAA inspectors, confirmed that all airframe structural components were located at the accident site. The main wreckage was located about 94 feet north of the runway end and about 27 feet east of the runway edge. The entire wreckage was contained within an area comparable to the lateral dimensions of the aircraft. The lack of a wreckage debris path was consistent with a near vertical impact angle. A portion of a wing leading edge rib was found embedded into the ground. The angle between the rib and the surrounding terrain was about 75 degrees. Elevator and rudder flight control continuity was established from the control surfaces to their associated cockpit controls. Aileron flight control continuity could not be established due to damage; however, all observed separations were consistent with overstress failure. Both wing fuel tanks appeared undamaged and were about 1/2 full. The airframe examination revealed no evidence of mechanical malfunctions or anomalies that would have precluded normal operation.

The engine remained partially attached to the fuselage; however, the carburetor and fuel pump had separated from the engine. Internal engine and valve train continuity was confirmed as the engine crankshaft was rotated. Compression and suction were noted on both cylinders in conjunction with crankshaft rotation. The spark plugs were removed and exhibited features consistent with normal engine operation. All three composite propeller blades remained attached to the metal hub assembly and exhibited damage consistent with ground impact. The engine examination revealed no evidence of mechanical malfunctions or anomalies that would have precluded normal operation.


On September 19, 2012, an autopsy was performed on the pilot at the First Call Morgue, located in Kansas City, Kansas. The cause of death for the pilot was attributed to multiple blunt-force injuries sustained during the accident.

The FAA Civil Aerospace Medical Institute (CAMI) in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, performed toxicology tests on samples obtained during the pilot's autopsy. Carbon monoxide, cyanide, and ethanol were not detected. Pseudoephedrine was detected in blood and urine samples. Pseudoephedrine, brand name Sudafed, is a non-sedating over-the-counter medication that is used to relieve nasal congestion and pressure caused by colds, allergies, and hay fever.

NTSB Probable Cause

The pilot's failure to maintain adequate airspeed during initial climb, which resulted in an aerodynamic stall and spin at a low altitude.

© 2009-2020 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.