Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N12057 accident description

Go to the Mississippi map...
Go to the Mississippi list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Bay St. Louis, MS
30.313628°N, 89.343484°W

Tail number N12057
Accident date 12 Jun 1994
Aircraft type Hruby Cayuse
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On June 12, 1994, about 1127 central daylight time, a Hruby Cayuse, N12057, registered to Maurice Farron, crashed at Stennis International Airport, Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, while on a 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and no flight plan was filed. The aircraft was destroyed by a postcrash fire and the student-rated pilot received fatal injuries. The flight was originating at the time of the accident.

Witnesses observed the aircraft taking off on runway 17. The engine was running rough and appeared to not be developing full power. The aircraft lifted off and climbed to treetop level before they lost sight of it. They diverted their attention from the aircraft and about 30 seconds later observed smoke near the departure end of the runway. One of the witnesses got in an aircraft and flew over the source of the smoke where he observed the wreckage of N12057. The pilot was out of the aircraft and crawling away from the wreckage.


The burned remains of the pilot's logbook was located in the aircraft wreckage. No information could be retrieved from this logbook. No other pilot logbooks were located after the accident. Federal Aviation Administration pilot medical records indicated that on June 12, 1993, the pilot applied for a third class medical and student pilot certificate. The pilot reported he had 1,100 total flight hours at that time and that he had flown 15 flight hours in the previous 6 months. For additional pilot information see the Pilot Information section in this report.


Information on the aircraft is contained in this report under Aircraft Information.


Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. Additional meteorological information is contained in this report under Weather Information.


On site examination of the crash site was performed by Federal Aviation Administration inspectors. The aircraft crashed in the grassy area to the east of the approach end of runway 35 at Stennis International Airport. Examination indicated the aircraft collided with the ground on a 360 degree heading while in a left bank. At the point of first impact was found components from the left wing fuel tip tank. The tank had ruptured and released fuel. The aircraft's right wing then hit the ground and the right fuel tip tank ruptured, releasing fuel. The aircraft then slid to a stop on the belly and came to rest upright. A postcrash fire erupted and destroyed the aircraft.

Examination of the flight control systems indicated the rudder control cables were continuous from the rudder pedals to the rudder. The right aileron control tube was continuous from the aileron to the control stick. The left aileron control tube had two breaks which were typical of accident damage. The left aileron bellcrank was burned away from the left aileron. The elevator control tube was connected at the control stick and at the elevator. Portions of the elevator tube had been burned away by the postcrash fire.

Examination of the engine indicated that the carburetor contained a few drops of automotive fuel with no evidence of contamination. The engine was removed from the crash site and installed on a engine test stand at Continental Motors, Mobile, Alabama. Examination was conducted under FAA inspector supervision. The carburetor was changed and the engine was started and operated to 1,700 RPM, the maximum attainable power setting. The spark plugs were changed. The nos. 1 and 3 top plugs were found to be fouled and not firing. The engine was again started and it operated to 2,750 RPM. After the cylinder head temperature increased the engine power dropped to a maximum obtainable RPM of 1,700. The engine was removed from the test stand and the cylinders were removed for examination. The nos. 3 and 4 cylinder exhaust valves were found to be tight in the valve guides and clearance was below allowable limits.

The cylinders were reassembled and reinstalled on the engine. The engine was again installed on a test stand. All original components except the carburetor, spark plugs, and ignition harness were installed. The engine was started and operated to 2,500 RPM at which time power began to drop off. After several attempts to obtain full power the engine smoothed out and the engine operated normally at full power.

The FAA inspector who conducted the engine examination indicated that the engine had been originally certificated using fuel containing lead. He stated the lead acted as a lubricant for internal components of the engine. Using unleaded automotive fuel, as in the case of N12057, would deprive the engine of the lead and could lead to sticking components such as the sticking valves in the accident engine.

Examination of the carburetor which was installed on the engine at the time of the accident indicated it contained a composite float. The float and the carburetor had sustained heat damage from the postcrash fire. The fuel inlet line to the carburetor had broken off during the crash. Examination of the carburetor components indicated no evidence to indicate precrash failure or malfunction.

For additional wreckage and impact information see attached FAA inspector statements.


The pilot died June 13, 1994, as a result of injuries sustained in the accident. Post mortem examination of the pilot was conducted by Dr. J.C.U. Downs, State Medical Examiner, Mobile, Alabama. The cause of death was reported as cutaneous burns. No toxicology testing was performed by the medical examiner or Federal Aviation Administration laboratories after the accident. For additional medical and pathological information see Supplement K to this report.


The aircraft wreckage was released on June 13, 1994, to G. Wayne Phillips, Phillips Aviation, Stennis International Airport, Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. The engine and accessories were retained by NTSB for further examination. The engine and accessories were released to G. Wayne Phillips on October 5, 1994.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.