Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N7736V accident description

Go to the Mississippi map...
Go to the Mississippi list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Ocean Springs, MS
30.411310°N, 88.827806°W

Tail number N7736V
Accident date 31 May 1998
Aircraft type Aero Commander CALLAIR A-9
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On May 31, 1998, about 1915 central daylight time, an Aero Commander Callair A-9, N7736V, registered to a private owner, operating as a 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight, crashed while maneuvering near Ocean Springs, Mississippi. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed. The airplane was destroyed. The commercial pilot was fatally injured. The flight originated from the same airport at 1910.

According to witnesses, the flight had been conducted for the pilot to practice banner towing pickup. Poles about 20 feet in height, with a yellow nylon rope were stretched perpendicular to the airplane's flight path. The flight was seen making a pass over the pickup point and then returning. The flight approached the pickup point from the north to the south and parallel to runway 17. The airplane was seen approaching the pickup site at an altitude of about 50 feet above the ground. About 100 feet north of the rope the airplane descended to an altitude of about 20 feet above the ground, and was seen striking the rope with the propeller. The rope wrapped around the propeller, shedding pieces of rope. Witnesses described the sound the rope made as being similar to "a large weed whacker." The airplane continued in a southerly direction and climbed to about 100 to 150 feet above the ground. The witnesses saw the airplane turn left (east), and then turn "sharply" to the north. The airplane was last seen descending right wing and nose low into the tress.

Several witnesses said that after the airplane struck the rope the engine rpm decreased, but the engine continued to run. Seventeen feet of yellow nylon rope was found wrapped around the propeller and engine flange.

The accident occurred during the hours of daylight about 30 degrees, 23 minutes north, and 088 degrees, 45 minutes west.


Information on the pilot is contained in this report on page 3, under First Pilot Information. The pilot's personal logbook showing his flight hours was not found.


Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. Meteorological information is contained in this report on page 3, under Weather Information.


An autopsy was performed on the pilot, on June 1, 1998, at Ocean Springs Hospital, Ocean Springs, Mississippi, by Dr. Paul McGarry.

Toxicological tests were conducted at the Federal Aviation Administration, Research Laboratory, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and revealed, "no ethanol." The victim was still alive when he was removed from the wreckage. He was administered medication at the crash site and en route to the hospital by EMS personnel. Numerous drugs appeared on the toxicology report. For a list of those drugs see the Forensic Toxicology Fatal Accident Report, attached to this report.


The airplane impacted in a wooded area about 150 yards to the left of the departure end of runway 17. There was no wreckage path in the vicinity of the impact area and no damage was observed on the trees surrounding the crash site. The airplane was resting nose low on the ground and the nose of the airplane was heading in a southerly direction. All parts of the airplane were located within the crash site. Pieces of yellow nylon rope were found wrapped tightly around the propeller flange.

Examination of the area near the poles and rope pick point revealed numerous cut pieces of yellow nylon rope found in the grass, south of the poles and on the runway to the left of the poles.

Examination of the wreckage revealed that the left wing showed some impact damage. The right wing was crushed along the leading edge, and the entire wing was bent rearward. From the rear windows to the tail section of the airplane the airframe displayed very little impact damage. Control continuity was established to all flight controls.

The engine was removed from the airframe and taken to a hangar at the Ocean Springs Airport for further examination. Two pieces of rope measuring 90 inches and 115 inches were removed from the flange. The propeller crankshaft was bent and only limited rotation was achieved. The propeller and starter were removed and complete rotation was achieved. The engine rotated freely, internal gear and valve train continuity was established. Thumb compression was good on all six cylinders. Examination of the engine did not reveal any discrepancies.


The aircraft wreckage was released to Miss Georgia K. Peavey, fiancee of the owner, on June 2, 1998.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.