Plane crash map Locate crash sites, wreckage and more

N6687B accident description

New Mexico map... New Mexico list
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Clovis, NM
34.404799°N, 103.205227°W
Tail number N6687B
Accident date 06 Aug 1999
Aircraft type Cessna T210M
Additional details: None

NTSB Factual Report


On August 6, 1999, approximately 1610 mountain daylight time (mdt), a Cessna T210M, N6687B, owned by New Mexico Flying Service of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and doing business as B & M Enterprises, Inc., was destroyed after colliding with terrain during final approach to landing at Clovis Municipal Airport, Clovis, New Mexico. The airline transport pilot, the sole occupant aboard, was fatally injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the non-scheduled domestic cargo flight being conducted under Title 14 CFR Part 135. The flight originated from Dallas Love Field Airport, Dallas, Texas, at 1530 central daylight time (cdt).

According to company records, the pilot departed Albuquerque, New Mexico, at 2115 mdt on the evening prior to the accident, and arrived at Lubbock, Texas, at 0131 cdt the following morning. He then departed Lubbock at 0328 cdt, en route to Dallas Love Field Airport, Dallas, Texas, and arrived at 0515 cdt. He rented a hotel room at the Holiday Inn Express during his layover in Dallas. While at Dallas, he requested the aircraft fuel tanks be "top[ped]", and a Signature Flight Support fuel receipt provided evidence that 31 gallons of fuel were added. According to the operator, he departed Dallas en route to Clovis with an no cargo aboard, and was scheduled to pick up checks in Clovis for delivery to his final destination of Albuquerque later that evening.

According to a Clovis airport employee, the pilot of N6687B announced his position over the airport's UNICOM (Universal Integrated Communication) frequency when the aircraft was 15, 10 and 5 miles out for landing. However, he never observed the airplane land at the airport. A witness, located approximately 1 mile east of the airport, stated that he overheard an airplane coming in for landing. He heard the engine accelerate, which caught his attention and caused him to look up towards the airplane. When he observed the aircraft, it appeared to be "lower and slower" than most aircraft he normally viewed at that altitude inbound for landing. He stated that it was level for several seconds, then "turned into a nose dive and crashed."


The pilot, a native of Switzerland, was born on November 19, 1969. He held Airline Transport Pilot Certificate No. 002494143, dated October 20, 1997, in a multi-engine land airplane. He also had commercial privileges in single-engine land and sea airplanes. In addition, he held a type-rating in a CE-500. He possessed a first class airman medical certificate, dated February 3, 1999, with no restrictions or limitations.

According to New Mexico Flying Services' company pilot records, he was hired on July 8, 1999. On that day, the company's chief pilot certified that the pilot had received 15 hours of initial new hire training and initial equipment training, and that the training was completed in a satisfactory manner (a list of the specific training that was covered is attached as an exhibit to this report).

According to the company's records, at the time of the accident, the pilot had accumulated a total of 2,342 hours. The pilot had flown a total of 85 hours in a Cessna 210, all of which were accomplished within the previous 90 days. His last FAR 61.56 flight review was accomplished on July 9, 1999 in a Cessna 210. He had been employed with the company for approximately one month when the accident occurred.


The aircraft was manufactured by the Cessna Aircraft Company in 1978. It was equipped with a Continental TSIO-520-R-9B engine, rated at 310 horsepower, a McCauley 3-blade, all metal, constant speed propeller, and retractable landing gear. According to the aircraft maintenance records, the last annual inspections performed on the engine and airframe were accomplished on January 14, 1999, at a tachometer time of 3448.6 hours. At that time, the engine had accrued 97.2 hours since the engine was rebuilt/zero timed on November 1, 1998.

On May 12, 1999, at a tachometer time of 3774.0, a visual and ultrasonic inspection of the crankshaft was performed in accordance with Airworthiness Directive 99-09-17. The logbook entry indicates, "No defects noted and no further compliance necessary."

According to the aircraft maintenance records, on April 27, 1999, the left horizontal stabilizer support bracket was removed and replaced with a new part. On June 23, 1999, a defective alternator was removed and replaced with an overhauled alternator (s/n 7110461). A new voltage regulator and alternator belt were also installed at that time. On July 15, 1999, the elevator trim tab was removed and replaced with a serviceable part from a Cessna T210L (s/n 6114). On August 3, 1999, a defective alternator was removed and replaced with an overhauled alternator (s/n 8081486). An alternator control unit was also replaced.

According to computed weight and balance information, with a basic empty weight of 2,296 lbs., useable fuel of 534 lbs. (a total of 89 gallons usable fuel weighing 6 lbs. per gallon), the pilot's weight of 200 lbs., and a fuel allowance of 12 lbs. for engine start, taxi and run-up, the takeoff weight of the aircraft when it departed Dallas was calculated to be 3,018 lbs. The maximum gross takeoff weight of the aircraft is 3,800 lbs.


At 2215, recorded weather at Clovis was wind from 200 degrees at 15 knots, 10 statute miles visibility, few clouds at 11,000 feet, temperature 28 degrees C. (82 degrees F.), dew point 19 degrees C. (66 degrees F.), and an altimeter setting of 30.03 inches of mercury. Based on the altimeter setting and temperature, the density altitude was calculated to be 6,648 feet above mean sea level (msl).


A search for the aircraft was initiated, and the airplane was located at approximately 1700 at a position of 34 degrees 26.302 north longitude, 103 degrees 03.865 west latitude. The aircraft impacted the ground .57 nm from the approach end of runway 22 at Clovis airport on an approximate heading of 220 degrees in an open crop field filled with vegetation approximately 5 to 6 feet high.

A crater embedded in the dirt was observed with 3 indentations several feet deep with measurements equivalent to that of the nose and main landing gear. The airplane was found approximately 25 feet from the point of initial impact in an inverted position. All major components of the aircraft were accounted for at the accident site and control cable continuity was established. The trim tab was found to be in a 5 degree tab-up position. Fuel was found in the left fuel tank, and the right fuel tank was compromised. A fuel sample was taken from the left tank and was found to be clear and free of contaminates. A large circular area of vegetation extending 10 feet from the initial impact crater towards the right of the wreckage path was discolored.

The 3-bladed propeller remained attached to the engine's crankshaft flange. Blade 'A' exhibited 'S' bending and had leading edge damage; Blade 'B' was bent aft 45 degrees exhibited chordwise scoring; and Blade 'C' also had chordwise scratching along the cambered surface.


An autopsy on the pilot was performed by the University of New Mexico's Office of the Medical Investigator in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on August 7, 1999. A toxicology protocol (9900191001) was performed by the FAA's Civil Aeromedical Institute (CAMI) in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. No carbon monoxide or cyanide were detected in the blood, and no ethanol or drugs were detected in the urine.


On October 13, 1999, the engine was disassembled and examined at the facilities of Teledyne Continental Motors in Mobile, Alabama. Continuity was visually established with each of the rotational components. Signatures consistent with normal wear were observed with the internal components including the camshaft, connecting rods, journals, bearings and pistons. The engine oil sump was examined. The gears and their respective cavities exhibited normal operational signatures. The magnetos remained attached to the accessory housing. Each of the engine's magnetos were functionally tested on a test stand and both produced spark. The manifold valve was tested using a fuel injection flow bench. The inlet pressure values measured in pounds per square inch (psi) were within the allowable specifications.

In addition, the turbocharger was also examined. The turbine housing was disassembled and the turbine blade was unobstructed and found free to rotate. No abnormalities or discrepancies with either the engine or the turbocharger, which would have affected the aircraft's operational performance, were found.

According to the aircraft's maintenance records, the horizontal stabilizer support bracket was removed and replaced with a new part (PN 1232624-1). The maintenance work was performed on April 27, 1999, at a tachometer time of 3731.1. On that same day, a flight test was performed for the reinstallation of the horizontal stabilizer, vertical stabilizer, rudder and elevator. The logbook entry indicates, "test flight OK."

On November 18, 1999, the aircraft was reexamined with the assistance of an engineering representative with the Cessna Aircraft Company. An examination of the affected components for the horizontal stabilizer replacement revealed that all parts were correctly reinstalled. At the time of the accident, the aircraft accrued 261.4 hours since the horizontal stabilizer replacement work was performed.


In addition to the Federal Aviation Administration, parties to the investigation were the Cessna Aircraft Company and Teledyne Continental Motors.

The aircraft was released to a representative of the owner's insurance company on November 18, 1999.

NTSB Probable Cause

The pilot's failure to maintain sufficient airspeed during final approach to landing, resulting in an inadvertent stall. A factor was the high density altitude.

© 2009-2020 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.