Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N672T accident description

Go to the Nevada map...
Go to the Nevada list...
Crash location 40.066670°N, 115.816670°W
Reported location is a long distance from the NTSB's reported nearest city. This often means that the location has a typo, or is incorrect.
Nearest city Eureka, NV
39.512707°N, 115.960613°W
39.0 miles away

Tail number N672T
Accident date 06 Jun 1993
Aircraft type Beech 35(AF) Beech K-35(NTSB)
Additional details: Beige/Brown

NTSB description

On June 6, 1993 about 1637 hours Pacific daylight time, a Beech K 35, N672T, collided with the terrain following an in flight loss of control, while in cruise flight , about 20 miles north of Eureka, Nevada. The airplane was destroyed and the certificated private pilot, the sole occupant, received fatal injuries. The personal flight was being operated by the pilot. The flight originated in Grangeville, Idaho, at an undetermined time and was destined for Burbank, California. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed.

According to recorded transcripts provided by the Boise, Idaho, FAA Flight Service Station (FSS), the pilot of N672T telephoned that FSS 1313 hours, and requested a briefing. He told the FSS position specialist that he was flying from Caldwell Airport (Grangeville), to Burbank. The transcripts show the position specialist telling the pilot "OK VFR flight is not recommended." He told the pilot there were flight precautions for moderate to isolated severe icing between 8,000 and 20,000 feet above mean sea level along the route of flight. He further stated, "...moderate to isolated severe turbulence below twenty thousand, mountain obscuration, and IFR conditions in clouds, precipitation and fog." He continued "Right now enroute ceilings are varying from a thousand feet to ten thousand feet broken to overcast, visibilities from three to seven miles in rain or snow showers and fog all up along that route."

At 1314 hours, the pilot asked "Ah, could you tell me ah if I could take a route ah to Oregon to the west from here (?)" The FSS position specialist told the pilot "same conditions." The pilot acknowledged and the telephonic conversation ended at 1314:54 hours.

The pilot departed Grangeville at an undetermined time. No witnesses were located that could provide any information pertaining to the pilot's actual departure.

According to FAA provided voice communications transcripts, the pilot contacted Boise air traffic control tower at 1423 hours. This was the first located evidence of communications between air traffic controllers and the pilot after he became airborne. Between 1423 hours and 1447 hours, the pilot communicated with Boise and Mountain Home (U. S. Air Force), Idaho, approach control. At 2147 hours, the pilot requested an altitude change and a destination change to Elko, Nevada, from Mountain Home approach control.

At 1458 hours, the pilot contacted FAA Salt Lake Center. When the airplane was handed off to Salt Lake Center, it was at an altitude of 11,800 feet and enroute to Elko.

At 1520 hours, the pilot reported an altitude of 13,500 feet. At 1545 hours the Salt Lake Center air traffic controller told the pilot that previous aircraft going into Elko had to execute an instrument flight rules approach to land at that location. The pilot acknowledged and at 1545 hours, the pilot changed his destination to Burbank.

At 1626 hours the pilot called Salt Lake Center and said "emergency." The controller acknowledged and asked the nature of the emergency and the pilot's intentions. The pilot responded "it's an emergency (unintelligible) severe icing cannot maintain (unintelligible)." The controller asked the pilot to repeat his last transmission. The pilot again said he had severe icing. The controller said "november six seven two tango you're experiencing severe icing." At 1627 hours, the pilot said "sever icing I have an emergency sir (unintelligible) altitude."

At 1628 hours, the pilot asked for directions "so I can get out of these ah clouds ah." The controller gave the pilot a new heading. At 2329 hours the pilot reported that he was gaining altitude and climbing. The controller then asked the pilot if he was still in the clouds. The pilot said "yes but its getting a little clear clearer."

The radio transmissions continued between the pilot and the FAA controller. At 1633 hours, the controller asked the pilot " is your icing now?" The pilot said "...I am almost (unintelligible) the clouds but there is still ah some icing."

The 2335, the controller asked the pilot if he was on top of the clouds. The pilot told the controller "I am right now breaking out." The controller tried to contact the pilot seven more times and further enlisted the aid of an American Airlines crew to try to make radio contact with the pilot. No further recorded radio contact was made with the pilot.

Salt Lake Center personnel made notifications that an airplane had disappeared from their radar. The Civil Air Patrol searched for the airplane and located the airplane on June 7, 1993.

Local law enforcement personnel from White Pine County (Nevada) located the accident site on June 7, 1993.


An autopsy was not performed on the pilot. The pilot was declared dead at the scene of the Accident by the White Pine County Deputy Coroner on June 7, 1993.

A toxicological examination was not performed.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.