Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N5900G accident description

Go to the Ohio map...
Go to the Ohio list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Seville, OH
41.010055°N, 81.862360°W

Tail number N5900G
Accident date 04 Dec 1995
Aircraft type Cessna 150K
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On December 4, 1995, at 1158 eastern standard time, a Cessna 150K, N5900G, impacted the terrain south of Seville, Ohio. The private pilot, the sole occupant, was fatally injured and the airplane was destroyed. No flight plan was filed and visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The flight operated under 14 CFR Part 91 and originated from Wadsworth Weltzien Skypark, in Wadsworth, Ohio, at approximately 1125.

Witnesses at the airport stated that everything seemed routine when the pilot rented the airplane and took off, at about 1125. At about 1150, witnesses observed an airplane flying erratically in the vicinity of the crash. They stated the airplane was flying at unusual bank angles. The airplane impacted terrain in a steep nose down attitude, at about 1158.


The pilot held a private pilot (airplane) certificate, with single engine land privileges. The pilot's logbook records indicate that he had approximately 164 hours total flight time, and had satisfactorily completed a Biennial Flight Review on July 5, 1994. The pilot also held a Third Class Medical Certificate, with no restrictions/limitations, dated April 18, 1994.


The airplane had a current registration and airworthiness certificate in the normal category. Postaccident examination of the airplane's maintenance logbooks revealed no evidence of anomaly.


The airplane wreckage was located in an open alfalfa field, with no immediate obstacles. Postaccident examination revealed that the main wreckage was in a single pile, and there were no ground scars leading to the wreckage.

Postaccident investigation revealed that all flight controls, flaps, ailerons, rudder, and trim tab were located with the main wreckage. Flight control cables were tracked and continuity confirmed, from their respective bellcranks to cockpit/center section of the wreckage. The damage to the cockpit/center section prevented continuity confirmation to the control column and rudder pedals. Cockpit instrument panel and powerplant control documentation was not possible due to impact damage. Postaccident examination of the engine, airframe, and systems revealed no evidence of pre-impact mechanical malfunction.


A Medical Examination was done on December 5, 1995 by Dr. Grabenstetter, of Medina County Coroner's Office in Valley City, OH. Toxicological tests did not detect alcohol, drugs, or carbon monoxide.


The pilot's wife stated that she and the pilot had been experiencing marital difficulties. She stated that on December 3, she and her husband had a violent argument, and the local authorities were called to their residence to intervene. The pilot's wife and son were transported to her parent's home, where they remained overnight. The pilot's wife reported that on the morning of the accident, the pilot called her at her parent's house at about 0600, and again at 0815. She reported that he was upset, and "...kept calling back so I took the phone off the hook. He...showed up at my parents home...I did not open the door because I was afraid for my son and [me]."

The pilot's wife reported that when she wouldn't answer the door, the pilot left, then telephoned her parent's home again. The pilot's wife stated that she picked up the phone after the pilot started to leave a message on the answering machine. The Ohio State Police transcribed the telephone answering machine recording of the conversation. The transcript revealed that the pilot stated "...pick up the phone and talk to me...Why that always happens I don't know, I've got a temper, but when you...degrade me...make me feel so insignificant...I want to see my son...At least let me see him one more time, please." The pilot's wife said " have the choice whether you want to see him or not, ok." According to the transcript, the pilot stated "Well, thanks for not letting me say goodbye to my son and my dog. I hope you [can] live with that...You've destroyed everything I've ever worked for. Now you didn't even let me say goodbye to my son." According to the pilot's family, after this phone call, the pilot drove to a notary where he had the titles to the family's three vehicles notarized, signed them, and left them on a table for the wife.

When the local authorities notified the pilot's wife of her husband's death, she stated that she felt he had committed suicide. The pilot's sister and wife indicated that the pilot had an abusive childhood, and was prone to violence and displays of temper. They stated that he had talked about suicide on many occasions. The pilot's wife reported that a close friend of the pilot's was killed in an airplane crash, and the pilot stated that was how he wanted to go, "...crash and burn and no skid marks."

The aircraft wreckage was released to the registered owner on December 5, 1995.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.