Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N1SE accident description

Go to the Oklahoma map...
Go to the Oklahoma list...
Crash location 36.265000°N, 95.770834°W
Reported location is a long distance from the NTSB's reported nearest city. This often means that the location has a typo, or is incorrect.
Nearest city Owasso, OK
36.269539°N, 95.854712°W
4.7 miles away

Tail number N1SE
Accident date 02 Jul 2006
Aircraft type Cessna 180K
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On July 2, 2006, about 0925 central daylight time, a single-engine Cessna 180K tailwheel-equipped airplane, N1SE, was substantially damaged when it impacted terrain following a collision with static transmission lines on takeoff from a residential street, near Owasso, Oklahoma. The private pilot sustained fatal injuries and the passenger was seriously injured. The airplane was registered to an individual and was operated by the pilot. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The flight had originated from a private airstrip about 0915.

A witness was working in the backyard of a residence when he observed the accident airplane flying "real low" over the trees in a southerly direction. As the witness watched, the airplane descended out of view behind a house and garage that was located several doors east of where he was standing. The witness stated, "the engine sounded fine, but I heard a bang and went around to the front yard to investigate." From the front yard he observed a street sign at the north end of 181st street bent over. The witness and his sister then drove east along 79th street to find the airplane. As they approached the intersection of 79th and 181st streets, they observed the airplane on the ground back taxing to the north end of 181st street before it turned 180-degrees back towards the south.

According to both witnesses, once the airplane completed its 180-degree turn it started a takeoff roll south along 181st street. Approximately 380 feet along its takeoff roll the airplane's left wing impacted the street sign for the second time before continuing south. The witnesses reported that as the airplane lifted off the road it began to drift east below two transmission lines that ran parallel to the road. The witnesses further reported that as the airplane climbed, the left wing came up under, and slid along, the lower transmission line before the airplane rolled across the wires and impacted the ground in a near vertical descent.

Reportedly, the pilot and passenger had departed a private airstrip with the intended destination of Gundy's Airport (O38), which was located about two and a half miles southwest of their departure point. The street on which they landed (181st street) was located approximately two miles along their route and about 4,000 feet directly east of O38. Both O38's runway and 181st street ran north and south with their south ends terminating at 76th street. Runway 17, at O38, was a 2,600-foot long by 26-foot wide asphalt runway. 181st street was constructed of asphalt and was approximately 1,600-feet long and 22-feet wide. Both Runway 17 and 181st street had orange windsocks east of their locations.

Static transmission lines ran parallel to and approximately 20-feet east of 181st street. Two transmission lines were mounted one above the other approximately 30-feet and 35-feet above the ground. The lines began at 76th street and proceeded north approximately 600-feet. There were no transmission lines on the northern 1,000 feet of 181st street.


The pilot held a private pilot certificate with a rating for airplane single-engine land. His last Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) third-class medical was issued on June 28, 2006, with the limitation of "MUST HAVE AVAILABLE LENSES FOR NEAR VISION."

The pilot's logbooks were not recovered during the course of the investigation. The pilot reported on his most recent medical application that he had accumulated a total time of 3,350 hours.


The 1978-model Cessna 180K, serial number 18053027, was a high wing, semi-monocoque airplane, with a conventional fixed landing gear, and was configured for four occupants. The airplane was powered by a direct drive, horizontally opposed, carbureted, normally aspirated, air-cooled, six-cylinder engine. The engine was a Continental O-470-U, serial number 467659, rated at 230 horsepower at 2,400 rpm, and was driving a two-bladed constant speed McCauley propeller.

According to the airframe logbook, the airplane's most recent annual inspection was completed on June 24, 2006, with an airframe total time of 1128.3 hours. At the time of the accident, the airframe had accumulated approximately 1128.8 hours.

The engine logbook revealed that the engine had been inspected in accordance with an annual inspection on June 23, 2006. At the time of the accident the engine had accumulated approximately 424 hours since major overhaul and less then one hour since the last inspection.


At 0953, the automated weather observing system at the Tulsa International Airport (TUL) near Tulsa, Oklahoma, located approximately 7 nautical miles southwest from the site of the accident, reported wind from 190 degrees at 8 knots, 10 statute miles visibility, few clouds at 25,000 feet, temperature 84 degrees, dew point 66 degrees, and a barometric pressure setting of 30.12 inches of Mercury.


On site documentation of the wreckage was conducted by investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Cessna Aircraft Company, and Teledyne Continental Motors (TCM).

The wreckage was located in a grassy field approximately 78 feet east of 181st street and about 54 feet east of static transmission lines. The Global Positioning System (GPS) coordinates recorded at the accident site were 36 degrees 15.90 minutes north latitude and 95 degrees 46.25 minutes west longitude, at a field elevation of approximately 768-feet mean sea level (msl). All major components of the airplane were accounted for at the site.

An examination of the airplane revealed that all flight controls and aerodynamic surfaces remained attached to the airframe. Flight control cable continuity was established throughout the fuselage and wings. Impact damage to the flap system prevented evaluation of the flap position. The trimmable stabilator position was measured at 8.25 inches from the bottom skin to the center of the actuator mount bolt. Reportedly, this measurement equated to a neutral trim position. The fuel selector was found in the "BOTH" position.

The leading edge of the right wing was found crushed aft and in a downward direction. The fuel tank area of the right wing was consumed by a post-impact fire. The left wing leading edge displayed a wire strike signature about 6 feet from the wing tip. The wire had cut through the leading edge of the wing aft to the front spar, then outboard along the spar for about 18 inches. A second wire strike signature was noted on the leading edge of the left wing at the wing root. The left wing leading edge also displayed an impact signature at the flap aileron split that was consistent with a signpost impact.

The engine was separated from the airframe, suspended from a lift, and the upper spark plugs and valve covers were removed. Investigators manually rotated the engine via the propeller hub. Valve train continuity was established to each cylinder and to the oil pump. Thumb compression was developed in each cylinder. The cylinders were examined via a borescoped in accordance with TCM Service Bulletin 03-3, and all of cylinder domes and piston heads exhibited "normal" deposits. Each intake and exhaust valve was found in their respective positions.

The left magneto was found separated from the engine and the right magneto was removed by investigators. Both magnetos sparked at all terminals when rotated by hand. The oil filter was removed and cut open. An examination of the oil filter element revealed no visible contaminants. The top spark plugs exhibited normal wear when compared to the Champion Check-A-Plug comparison card, and light gray deposits in the electrode areas.

The carburetor exhibited impact damaged and was found separated from the engine. The accelerator pump was found to be operational. The fuel screen was removed and found to be clean and unobstructed. The unit was disassembled and the bowl was full of a blue liquid consistent with 100 low lead aviation fuel.

The propeller hub was found fractured and the spinner was crushed to the rear. One blade was separated from the hub, and exhibited 'S" type bending. The blade was also twisted toward the direction of rotation. The other blade exhibited rubbing on the cambered side near the tip, and was twisted toward the direction of rotation.

An examination of the airframe and engine did not reveal any pre impact anomalies that would have prevented normal operation.


The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, located in Tulsa, Oklahoma, performed an autopsy on the pilot on July 3, 2006.

The FAA, Toxicology Accident Research Laboratory, located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, conducted toxicological testing on the pilot.


The wreckage was released on April 3, 2007, to a representative of the owner's insurance company.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.