Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N2558W accident description

Go to the Oklahoma map...
Go to the Oklahoma list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Oklahoma City, OK
35.467560°N, 97.516428°W

Tail number N2558W
Accident date 25 Apr 1996
Aircraft type Beech A36
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On April 25, 1996, at 1209 central daylight time, a Beech A36, N2558W, owned and operated by the Williford Energy Company of Tulsa, Oklahoma, was destroyed following a loss of control near Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The instrument rated private pilot was fatally injured, while his passenger sustained minor injuries. The flight originated at Tulsa, Oklahoma, approximately 40 minutes prior to the accident. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the Title 14 CFR Part 91 flight. A flight plan was not filed for the business flight.

The pilot's secretary called the fixed base operator at the Expressway Airpark to advise them that N2558W was en route with an estimated arrival time of 1150, and they were requesting a taxi to transport the two occupants to the nearby Remington Park for a business lunch. According to the fixed base operator, the pilot called them on the Unicom frequency when he was 10 miles northeast of the airport.

The operator stated that he informed the pilot that the winds were "out of the north, favoring runway 02." The operator further stated that within a few minutes he heard the pilot announcing a "go-around from runway 20." The operator told the pilot "that he was trying to land downwind, use runway 02" to which the pilot replied "OK." The pilot made another call "going around at Expressway" and a flight instructor employed by the operator contacted the pilot again and notified him that "he was using the wrong runway." The pilot's reply was unclear.

The pilot next reported on a "left downwind for 02" and the operator corrected the pilot and told him "you are upwind, the winds are from the north, preferred runway is 02" to which the pilot replied "runway zero two." On the third approach, the airplane touched down on runway 20 beyond the mid point of the 3,350 foot runway. After rolling for a few feet, the sound of application of takeoff power was heard.

The airplane climbed to approximately 50 feet above the ground and the landing gear and flaps were retracted as the airplane assumed an exaggerated nose high climb attitude. Witnesses at the airport reported that the airplane was "waffling" as it continued southbound. The nose of the airplane appeared to be momentarily lowered twice prior to the loss of control and subsequent impact with the ground.


The private pilot added his instrument rating on February 2, 1995. As chairman of his company, he was the only pilot authorized to fly the company's airplane. The pilot's logbooks were kept in the flight kit carried in the cockpit. The flight kit was consumed by fire and the pilot's logbooks were never located.

The pilot completed the Flight Safety International Bonanza Pilot Initial Qualification Course on January 21, 1994. As of September 18, 1995, the pilot had accumulated a total of 291 hours of dual instruction.


The 1986 model airplane was purchased by the pilot's company on December 22, 1993, and registered to the Tulsa-based Williford Energy Company. Estimates of the weight of the airplane at the time of the accident places the airplane within its weight and balance limits.

Shoulder harnesses were available for the front two seats, and lap belts were available for all six seats.


The first evidence of impact was on the corner of the roof of a single story motel. The initial ground scar was 14 feet in length on a measured heading of 165 degrees. The airplane came to a stop approximately 70 feet from the initial point of ground impact. A tree penetrated the root of the right wing. The airplane came to rest on a southerly heading.

The fuel selector was found on the left main tank position. Both fuel tanks were compromised. The engine was found separated from the airframe approximately 11 feet forward of the resting place of the main wreckage. The propeller was found attached to the crankshaft.

The landing gear and the flaps were found in the retracted position. Examination of the airplane and engine at the accident site did not disclose any evidence of mechanical problems or anomalies that would have prevented normal operation.

The engine was transported to the manufacturer's facility where it was satisfactorily ran on October 15, 1996, in test cell #44, under the supervision of an NTSB investigator.


An autopsy was performed by Chai S. Choi, M.D. of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The toxicology report was negative.

The pilot received a medical exemption under FAA Part 67.91 from the Federal Air Surgeon for vision, heart disease and an ulcer.


A post crash fire destroyed the airplane from the front seats forward to the nose section. No evidence of pre-impact fire was found during the investigation.


The passenger, who was the pilot's wife, was seated on the left middle aft facing seat. She exited the aircraft unassisted through the aft double doors on the right side of the airplane. She was treated at a local hospital for burns on her legs and arms and was released.

The remains of the cabin door locking mechanism were found in the locked position. The airplane came to rest with the cabin door approximately 18 inches from the trunk of a tree. The right escape window was found unlocked, but still closed. The airplane's fire extinguisher was found out of its holding bracket but fully charged.

According to emergency medical personnel that responded to the accident site, the pilot's shoulder harness and seat belt were still attached when they arrived on-scene.


The wreckage was released to the owner's representative upon completion of the field portion of the investigation. The engine was released upon completion of the test run at the engine manufacturer's facility.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.