Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N5366B accident description

Go to the Oklahoma map...
Go to the Oklahoma list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Guthrie, OK
35.878937°N, 97.425319°W

Tail number N5366B
Accident date 31 Jan 1997
Aircraft type Cessna 152
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On January 31, 1997, at 1750 central standard time, a Cessna 152, N5366B, was destroyed following impact with a static wire near Guthrie, Oklahoma. The airline transport rated flight instructor and the student pilot were both fatally injured. The airplane was registered to Seward Leasing, Inc., and operated by Crabtree Aircraft Co. under Title 14 CFR Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the local instructional flight which originated from Guthrie Municipal Airport at approximately 1715. No flight plan had been filed.

Witnesses reported to the Investigator-In-Charge (IIC) that the Cessna 152 was on a training flight to "prepare the student for his solo ride." The flight school owner reported to the IIC that the pilots had been making takeoffs and landings on runway 16. Witnesses stated that they "believed that [N5366] Bravo had completed 4 to 5 touch-and-goes before the accident occurred."

Another flight instructor reported to the IIC that he and his student had landed at Guthrie Municipal Airport at approximately 1740. He stated that when they were approaching Guthrie's landing pattern, he spoke to the flight instructor in N5366B on his airplane's radio. He further stated that while he was taxiing back to the FBO office he heard the flight instructor making his traffic pattern radio calls while on downwind. A witness who services airplanes at Guthrie Municipal Airport reported to the IIC that he remembers seeing the flight instructor "at the dispatch log carrying his headset with him as he always did before a flight." The witness further reported that he "recalls hearing the flight instructor's transmission on the radio when he was on downwind for runway 16 and his student make a second radio call for downwind runway 16."

A witness who was standing in the lobby of the FBO (witness area one, see attached witness location chart) reported to the IIC that he observed N5366B flying over Runway 16 "at about an altitude of 300 or so feet in a nose low attitude. After I saw the Cessna, it was probably about no longer than one minute when I noticed a large twin prop MU-2 that had landed on runway 34, and before it had cleared the runway I noticed that the electricity went off in the airport." This witness further reported that he was approximately 10 feet from the FBO UNICOM radio and did "not recall any radio traffic from the pilot of the MU-2 from the UNICOM radio in the FBO." Another witness, who was airborne and approaching Guthrie Municipal Airport at approximately 1750, reported to the IIC that he was monitoring Guthrie's Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF--122.8) "with the volume turned up and at no time did he hear any traffic announcing for runway 34 at Guthrie."

The airplane observed by the witness in the FBO lobby was a Mitsubishi MU-2B-36A, N338CM. It was arriving from a cross-country flight which had originated from Lansing Municipal Airport near Chicago, Illinois, approximately 2 hours and 35 minutes before the event.

The flight school's chief flight instructor, other flight instructors employed by the school, and several of the flight instructor's current students reported to the IIC that the flight instructor always followed the FAA approved flight school procedures for the traffic pattern and the use of the airplane's check list which included the use of the airplane's flashing beacon and its strobe lights. The above individuals further reported that the flight instructor always had his headset with him and to the best of their knowledge, he always used it.

A witness in area two who was inside preparing dinner, heard what he believed was a single engine airplane flying normally, "then whoosh (kicked back the throttle), then chug, chug." The witness reported to the IIC that "a few moments later a second airplane, a double (double sound) and sounded strong (had it cranked up for approach) came by, banked hard left [and] headed for the airport." Another witness in area two who was in the yard hanging clothes reported to the IIC that she "saw a small craft flying southeast over her property; sounded like something was cutting out or throttling back."

Another witness in area two who was in her yard talking to her neighbor reported to the IIC that she saw a small airplane flying overhead (very low) and the engine was "chugging; then it flew towards the Interstate." She stated that "the sound had just gone out of my hearing range when the bigger airplane flew overhead going in the other direction (towards the airport). It sounded fine, but loud." The neighbor reported to the IIC that a "bigger than normal airplane (two engines) flew towards the airport, very low and very loud." This witness also pointed out to the IIC the twin engine airplane's route of flight, which was measured by the IIC as a magnetic course of 320 degrees.

Another witness in area two reported to the IIC that she and her husband were sitting in their living room watching TV, and she "heard a very loud small engine plane overhead (I ducked)." She reported that the plane became "quieter" as it flew south of the property. "Shortly later another small plane came in to land; it sounded healthier-stronger, quicker." This witness further reported to the IIC that "we were certain the second plane had to have seen the first."

Two other witnesses who were inside their home in area three (see attached witness location chart) reported that "they heard an airplane very low (under stress) real loud (rattled the walls). It went by very slow (working hard) going south." They reported to the IIC that they hear a lot of airplanes where they live and they believed that this was a single-engine airplane. In the front yard of the same house was a visiting friend who reported to the IIC that a "small plane flew very low right above the house. It sounded like a buzz-saw passing by and I at first thought it was going to hit the house. I ducked down thinking it might do just that." This witness further stated that "I remember it sounding so very loud, because it was so close."

The witness in area four reported to the IIC that she heard "a small airplane with the power coming off, sounded like a stall, like they practice out here all the time." She stated that she then heard "a loud power coming on (jet engines) and she couldn't hear the little guy anymore."

The witness in area five reported to the IIC that approximately 10 minutes before 6, he "was in the shop and heard a different deeper sound (maybe two engines - noise wave discrepancies), very loud, like a 454 straight pipe engine [automotive]." He further reported that he then walked out the backdoor and could hear the "noise wave discrepancies fading towards the airport." He stated to the IIC that "he walked over a few more steps and saw a small airplane equal to the top of the large highway sign (see photographs). It started to bank left, but then nosed down kinda drastic like (simultaneously I saw sparks). The airplane then nosed down steeply and disappeared."

The witness in area six reported to the IIC that she "was driving north on Sooner Rd. (old 77), at approximated 10 minutes before 6, when I observed a two engine airplane, bigger than what I usually see in this area. It was very low and very loud." She reported that she "first saw it coming towards me from the northwest and it was in a left turn (tipped left); I last saw it turning Northeast."

One of several witnesses in area seven reported to the IIC that she was driving north on Interstate 35 when "suddenly there was an airplane right in front of her flying very low just above the cars." She stated that "he went right (west) and then left (southwest); next he hit the ground." Another witness in area seven reported that "I saw a small (private) plane circle low over the highway, heading first towards the east and then circling towards the south until it was aligned approximately along the route of the highway." He stated that "the plane struck an overhead electrical cable, at which point it immediately dropped, nose first, to the ground."

The IIC interviewed ten witnesses who were in area seven and observed the accident, none of them recalled seeing or hearing a second airplane over or near the accident site until approximately 5 to 10 minutes after the accident when a small single engine airplane circled directly over head.

According to FAA documentation, N338CM, arrived in the Guthrie, Oklahoma, area on an IFR flight plan. At approximately 5 NM out from Guthrie Municipal Airport, the ATC controller asked the pilot of N338CM if he had the airport in sight. The pilot responded that "we are looking right into the sun, we still don't have it." Approximately 40 seconds went by before the pilot radioed the controller that he had Guthrie Municipal Airport in sight; at which time he canceled his flight plan and was cleared to the CTAF by ATC. A review of recorded radar data indicated that at the time the pilot of N338CM reported Guthrie Municipal in sight, the MU-2 was approximately 2.8 nautical miles northeast of the airport at approximately 3,600 feet msl.

Radar data indicates that N338CM flew over the north end of Guthrie Municipal Airport at approximately 2,850 feet msl and flew a descending curved flight path to a point approximately 2.5 nautical miles southwest of the airport where radar indicated he was at 1,800 feet msl (550 feet agl). At this geographical point, the radar indicates that he turned northeast bound, with the sun at his back, for approximately 2 nautical miles. At this location, approximately 300 feet agl, N338CM turned to approximately 320 degrees (see statement of witness in area two) for an estimated one nautical mile final approach to runway 34 at Guthrie Municipal Airport. Throughout this approach flight path, his airspeed varied (see attached chart). The pilot of N338CM reported to the IIC that he believes that he made at least three radio transmissions on CTAF, during the three minute time period from his IFR cancellation to touchdown on runway 34.

A non-pilot witness sitting in the right seat of N338CM reported to the IIC that he believes the pilot of N338CM is a "meticulous pilot." He stated that when he flies with him, the pilot has him "read the checklist and look for other airplanes." He further stated that he believes the pilot of N338CM made approximately three radio transmissions on the CTAF during their approach into Guthrie.


According to the flight school's chief flight instructor, the flight instructor was an experienced flight instructor. According to the flight instructor's flight logbook, he had approximately 2800 hours of flight experience in airplanes. The chief flight instructor reported to the IIC that the flight instructor had been flying out of Guthrie Municipal Airport for approximately 4 years and had "acquired almost all of his flight experience there."

Examination of the flight instructor's logbook, interviews with the school's Chief Flight Instructor and fellow flight instructors indicated that the flight instructor had not received any training in aerobatic flight. Additionally, these witnesses had never heard the flight instructor talk about performing aerobatics. One of the flight instructor's fellow instructors described the flight instructor as "a very conservative pilot."

The student's flight logbook indicated that this was his 8th flight lesson (9.3 hours of flight training at the time of the accident) and he was a pre-solo student. The day before the accident, on January 30, 1997, the student received a medical examination from an FAA certified medical examiner and was issued a student pilot certificate.


The accident airplane was a high-wing, fixed-gear, single-engine airplane built in 1979 and had accrued approximately 12,130 hours of flying time. The airplane's 110 HP engine had 3,780 hours on it since overhaul and the last annual inspection was accomplished on December 6, 1996. The airplane was equipped with two VHF radios and an intercom system with push to talk buttons on both control yokes. It was painted white with red and a lesser amount of blue trim. The airplane was equipped with navigation lights on the wing tips and rudder, a flashing beacon on the top of the vertical stabilizer (leading edge), and strobe lights on the wing tips.

At the time of the accident, using estimates derived from aircraft records, FAA medical records, fuel utilization charts, and personal belongings found in the airplane, the airplane weighed approximately 1,659 pounds (the maximum certified gross weight is 1,670 pounds) and would have been within the center-of-gravity limitations when the accident occurred (see attached manufacturer charts). Using performance charts found in the owner's manual, if the airplane was at gross weight, it would climb at approximately 600 feet per minute.

N338CM was a 1977 Mitsubishi MU-2B-36A turbo prop. The pilot of that airplane had reported on his IFR flight plan request that his airplane was painted "white over gray with a red stripe." The MU-2B was also equipped with wing tip tanks which have landing lights in them; and, the nose wheel gear has two taxi lights mounted on it.


The National Weather Service facility at the Will Rogers World Airport (OKC - approximately 28 NM south) in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, reported on January 31, 1997, at 1756 CST, that the winds were calm, the visibility was 10 miles, the skies were clear, the temperature was 55 degrees fahrenheit, the dewpoint was 30 degrees fahrenheit, and the altimeter was 29.83. One witness at Guthrie Municipal Airport reported that, at the time of the accident, the winds were calm and another witness estimated that the winds were 290 degrees at 2 to 3 knots.

The U.S. Naval Astronomical Observatory reported that on the day of the accident, the sun set at 1756 CST. On February 1, 1997, the day after the accident, the sun was observed by the IIC to sink below the horizon at 245 degrees magnetic heading from the Guthrie Municipal Airport vicinity. According to the Dallas-Fort Worth Sectional Aeronautical Chart, the magnetic variation in the Guthrie, Oklahoma, area is approximately 7 degrees east which would have the sun setting at approximately 238 degrees true.

The pilot of N338CM received a weather briefing and filed a flight plan with Kankakee AFSS at approximately 0813 on January 31, 1997. He was given the Oklahoma City forecast for 1800 to 0000 UTC which was: winds 310 degrees for 11 knots, visibility 6 plus miles, and 25,000 feet scattered cloud condition. As N338CM approached Guthrie Municipal Airport, the pilot was given the 1656 CST weather observation for Oklahoma City which was: winds 290 degrees at 3 knots, visibility 10 miles, sky clear, and the barometric pressure at 29.82 inches.


FAA Advisory Circular 90-42F (Traffic Advisory Practices at Airports Without Operating Control Towers) recommends that "all inbound traffic should continuously monitor and communicate, as appropriate, on the designated CTAF from a point 10 miles from the airport until clear of the movement area." It further recommends that "departing aircraft should continuously monitor/communicate on the appropriate frequency from startup, during taxi, and until 10 miles from the airport unless the Federal Aviation Regulations or local procedures require otherwise."

Advisory Circular 90-42F also recommends that inbound pilots contact the non towered airport's UNICOM, if available, to request local weather information, the recommended runway, or any other necessary information. Pilots operating at non towered airports are also requested to make "self-announcements" that announce their position, intended flight activity or ground operation on the designated CTAF to notify other pilots operating at the same airport.


Guthrie Municipal Airport (elevation 1,068 feet) has one 4,102 x 75 foot concrete runway oriented 16-34 with VASI approach lighting on runway 16. The airport is a non-controlled field with a Common Traffic Advisory Frequency and UNICOM frequency of 122.8. The Nat

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.