Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N111TC accident description

Go to the South Carolina map...
Go to the South Carolina list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Allendale, SC
33.007934°N, 81.308441°W

Tail number N111TC
Accident date 03 Apr 1998
Aircraft type Rockwell GA-112TC
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On April 3, 1998, about 2010 eastern standard time, a Rockwell, GA-112TC, N111TC, registered to a private owner, crashed just after takeoff from the Allendale County Airport, Allendale, South Carolina. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed at the time, and no flight plan was filed for the Title 14 CFR Part 91, personal flight. The private-rated, non instrument qualified pilot and one passenger were fatally injured. The airplane was destroyed. The airplane and the two occupants had landed at Allendale about 1745, after a flight from Detroit, Michigan. The flight was originating at the time, en route to Beaufort, South Carolina.

After landing at Allendale, the pilot instructed the line personnel to top off the airplane with fuel. The airplane was topped off with 43.3 gallons of 100 low lead fuel, the pilot paid with cash, and then requested to use a phone to call his son in Beaufort. He then asked where they could go to eat. They were told that they had to go about 2 miles, and they left the airport. The occupants of the airplane told the line personnel that they had flown in from Detroit, en route to Beaufort, about 50 miles southeast of Allendale, for an air show and visit with the pilot's son.

The pilot of N111TC called the specialist at the Anderson, South Carolina, AFSS (Automated Flight Service Station), Preflight Briefing at 1939:08. The pilot gave his name and airplane's registration number, and said, "...I'm at Allenton [sic], South Carolina, right now and I'd like to know what its like over at Beaufort uh weather conditions, if its still cloudy over there or rainy...cause I'd like to get over there tonight if possible."

At 1939:44, the AFSS specialist said, " looks like you got a thunderstorm over there right now...Marine Beaufort...showing five hundred scattered, fifteen hundred broken, cumulonimbus, eight thousand overcast, visibility four miles, thunderstorms, light rainshowers mist, temperature and due point seventeen (63F), they got thunderstorm west moving to the east...that should move through fairly fast...I got one other cell just crossing the Georgia, South Carolina, line...west northwest of Beaufort probably will pass just a little bit north of [the] Beaufort area."

The pilot of N111TC said at 1940:24, " the one that's there now probably be there like about another hour you figure."

The specialist said, "...oh no its...moving right along, it will be otta there within...the picture is about 6 minutes old...probably be out of there in 15 or 20 minutes."

At 1940:40, the pilot of N111TC said, "...already gone probably...ok sounds good give it a little while and I'll give you a call back and see if for sure its otta there...and uh check a chart about getting over there, thank you very much sir."

The briefing and telephone conversation ended at 1940:52. There was no record showing that the pilot of N111TC ever called the AFSS again before departure.

The president of an FBO (fixed base operator) at the Allendale Airport saw N111TC land. According to his statement, "...I saw a airplane trying to land at the airport [about 1730] 5:45 [1745] this same plane finally landed with a ceiling of not more then 300 feet agl [above ground level], and a visibility of not more then 1 nm (nautical mile). At the time I was thinking the pilots were IFR because the weather was way below our VOR approach minimums...700 feet. I take the right to judge the weather, being flying for the last 10 years in all kind[s] of weather VFR and IFR."

A sheriff's deputy interviewed the personnel at the restaurant where the two men ate, and was told by the waitress she remembered two people coming into the restaurant on April 3rd, that she said, "...she did not know." The waitress told the deputy, "...they were looking for a place to rent a car and a pay phone." She gave them the information, and then sat them at a table. She said, "...a black haired guy [identified by the Sheriff as the passenger] ordered a...sandwich and a Budweiser [beer]. The taller guy order a sandwich and a glass of water...after they eat [sic], they sat at the table for awhile and ordered nothing else...."

After leaving the restaurant, an Allendale County sheriff's deputy picked up the two occupants and drove them out to the airport. The deputy estimated that the time was about 2000. The deputy said, "...the two gentlemen asked me to give them a ride...I told them to get in, and I would take them, it was no problem...while the two men were in my car the young male told the older male [pilot] they needed to check the weather, and the older man's reply was no, the storm is over, it will be fine." After getting out of the car at the airport one of the men went to the right wing, the other to the left wing, and they untied the airplane's wings. Then the young white male got up into the plane on the right side. The older gentleman walked around the plane and got in on the left side. They sat in the plane for about 2 minutes, and the engine started up and they went to pull off down the runway. They went down the runway, turned around and then came back and took off. I was sitting on the car and I was watching them...[the] plane disappeared in the fog. I then heard a funny noise from the engine [revving], and then I saw the explosion...." The deputy told the Safety Board that the plane was about 200 feet above the ground before it disappeared into the clouds. He heard the engine "rev up" just before impact.

The accident occurred during the hours of darkness approximately 32 degrees, 59 minutes north, and 081 degrees, 16 minutes west.


Information on the pilot is contained in this report on page 3, under First Pilot Information. The pilot's personal logbook was not found.


Meteorological information is contained in this report on page 3, under Weather Information. The offical sunset for the latitude and longitude for the Allendale Airport at the time of the accident was 1848. The end of twilight was 1913.


An autopsy was performed on the pilot, on April 4, 1998, at the Medical Examiner's Office, Charleston, South Carolina, by Dr. Sandra Conradie.

Toxicological tests were conducted at the Federal Aviation Administration, Research Laboratory, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and revealed, " ethanol or drugs detected."


The airplane impacted in an open field about 1,500 feet southeast (left) of the departure end of runway 17. A ground scar with pieces of the left wing was found on southwest corner of the field. The wreckage path continued on a heading of 019 degrees. The propeller had separated from the engine flange, and was found about 55 feet northeast of the first ground scar. The wreckage path continued in a northeasterly direction for 340 feet. The nose of the airplane came to rest on a heading of about 190 degrees.

The right wing was found crushed at the tip and leading edge inboard, to about mid span of the wing. The inboard attach point of the wing and fuselage was separated, and the wing displayed extensive fire damage. The landing gear was retracted under the wing. The right wing displayed some impact damage, but was destroyed by fire damage. The right wing was found separated from the fuselage at the wing attach point. The right landing gear was found in the down position. Both trailing edge flaps were found retracted. The tail section showed some impact damage and no fire damage. All parts of the airplane were found within the crash site. The airplane was consumed by fire rendering most of the instruments and switches unreadable. Control continuity was established to all the flight controls through the control cables.

The engine was removed from the airframe and taken to a hangar at the Allendale County Airport for further observations and examination. Examination of the engine revealed no discrepancies except for impact and post impact fire damage.

The propeller was found separated from the engine flange. Both blades were found attached to the hub. Both blades displayed impact damage in the form of twisting and bending. The blades displayed chordwise marks and leading edge damage.


The airplane was released to Mr. Tony Simmons, Fixed Base Operator, Shop Foreman, on April 4, 1998. There were no representatives of the owner available at the time the wreckage was released.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.