Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N412ES accident description

Go to the Tennessee map...
Go to the Tennessee list...
Crash location 36.289722°N, 86.843055°W
Reported location is a long distance from the NTSB's reported nearest city. This often means that the location has a typo, or is incorrect.
Nearest city Whites Creek, TN
36.265887°N, 86.830832°W
1.8 miles away

Tail number N412ES
Accident date 24 Nov 2008
Aircraft type Beech 95-B55 (T4
Additional details: None

NTSB description

On November 24, 2008, about 1045 central standard time, a Beech 95-B55, N412ES, registered to and operated by a private individual, experienced an in-flight loss of control and crashed into a wooded area behind a house located in Whites Creek, Tennessee. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan was filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91 business flight from Memorial Field Airport (HOT), Hot Springs, Arkansas, to Nashville International Airport (BNA), Nashville, Tennessee. The airplane was destroyed by impact and a postcrash fire and the commercial-certificated pilot and 2 passengers were killed. The flight originated about 0911, from HOT.

According to preliminary air traffic control (ATC) information, the flight proceeded towards the destination airport and at approximately 1033 CST, or when the flight was southwest of BNA, the pilot contacted BNA air traffic control tower (ATCT) and advised the flight was at 4,000 feet. The controller advised the pilot that Automated Terminal Information Service (ATIS) Sierra was current, and to expect vectors for the ILS approach to runway 20R, which the pilot acknowledged. At 1036, the controller advised the pilot to fly heading 055 degrees for vectors for sequencing, which he also acknowledged. At 1043, the controller advised the pilot of traffic at 2 o’clock and 1 mile altitude unknown. The pilot responded “yeah well I’m all screwed up up here so stick with me.” The controller asked the pilot if he needed assistance and the pilot asked the controller how far he was from the localizer. The controller advised the pilot that the flight was 12 miles from the localizer and asked the pilot to make sure he wasn’t confusing the John Tune Airport localizer setting (110.3 MHz) with the BNA Airport runway 20R localizer setting of 111.3 MHz. The pilot immediately responded, “got it in 111.3.”

The controller then instructed the pilot to fly his present heading and to expect a base and final turn to the localizer; the pilot did not respond. The controller again advised the pilot to expect a base turn in 5 miles and a turn south onto the localizer. A voice responded with “that’s.” At 1044, the controller repeated the partial call sign of the airplane, and the pilot responded, “2ES, I’ve got you by now and I’m trying to hold." A pause was noted and then grunting sounds were recorded on the frequency. The controller asked the pilot if he needed help and he responded, “I got it into a spin and I can’t stop it.” Heavy breathing/grunting sounds for several seconds were heard on the frequency. At 1044, the controller advised the pilot to climb immediately to 3,000 feet. The pilot responded with unintelligible words. At 1045, the controller again advised the pilot to climb immediately, there was no response. The controller advised the pilot that the flight was 6 miles north of John Tune Airport, and rescue vehicles had been dispatched. There was no response.

A witness located near the crash site reported he was inside his house and heard an airplane that sounded abnormal; the witness and his son reported hearing a whirring sound. The witness looked outside his window and saw the airplane flying in a southwesterly direction. The abnormal sound faded momentarily, and then returned. The airplane began spinning in a counterclockwise direction and was flat while spinning. He estimated the airplane spun 4 times before losing sight. Each 360 degree rotation took approximately 1 second. He called 911 and ran to the scene. When he arrived there he noticed a fire at the front of the airplane which spread out. He estimated the fire department arrived in 5 minutes. The witness further reported the weather condition at the time consisted of low clouds with light drizzle.

Preliminary examination of the accident site revealed the airplane came to rest upright in a wooded area behind a residential area. A postcrash fire consumed the cockpit, cabin, and sections of both wings.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.