Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N819ER accident description

Go to the Texas map...
Go to the Texas list...
Crash location 30.340000°N, 95.397777°W
Reported location is a long distance from the NTSB's reported nearest city. This often means that the location has a typo, or is incorrect.
Nearest city Conroe, TX
30.311877°N, 95.456051°W
4.0 miles away

Tail number N819ER
Accident date 09 Jun 2005
Aircraft type Beech 76
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On June 9, 2005, at 1541 central daylight time, a twin-engine Beech 76 airplane, N819ER, was destroyed when it impacted a house in a residential area following a loss of control while attempting a simulated single-engine go-around at the Lone Star Executive Airport (CXO), near Conroe, Texas. The commercial pilot, sole occupant of the airplane, was fatally injured. The airplane was registered to Twin Duchess Corporation of Houston, Texas, and operated by MVP Aero Academy, Inc., of Montgomery, Texas. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The local flight originated from CXO approximately 1450.

A witness reported to the NTSB investigator-in-charge (IIC) that as he was driving north along the airport perimeter road near the approach end of Runway 14, when he observed the airplane moving back and forth in a crab position across the inbound runway course, and noted that the "left propeller appeared to be in a feathered or shutdown position."

Another witness who was landing his airplane behind the accident airplane reported to the IIC that he heard the pilot report on the local area common traffic advisory frequency (CTAF) that "he was on a single-engine approach to 14, with a simulated engine-out." The witness stated that it was difficult to understand the pilot's radio transmission because of his foreign accent. The witness further stated that as the accident airplane was approximately 20 feet above the middle of the runway, he heard the pilot call out, "I'm going around." There was no apparent stress in the tone of the communication. The next time that the witness saw the accident airplane was when it was coming up from out of the tree line southeast of the runway in a left turn at about 250 feet above ground level (agl), with the "right wing between 70-degrees and vertical." No emergency transmissions were reported. The pilot then saw smoke coming from the area of the impact.


The 32-year old pilot held a commercial pilot certificate with airplane single-engine land, airplane multi-engine land, and instrument airplane ratings. The pilot also held a flight instructor certificate (CFI) with airplane single-engine land, airplane multi-engine land, and instrument airplane ratings. The CFI rating for airplane multi-engine land was issued on February 12, 2005. The pilot was issued a second-class medical on January 22, 2004, without limitations.

On March 15, 2005, the pilot reported to MVP Aero Academy that his total flight time was 1,000 hours total flight time, of which 100 hours were in a multi-engine airplane. The academy also recorded that the pilot had given 27 hours of single-engine instruction since March 1, 2005.


The 1979-model airplane, serial number ME-199, was a low wing, semimonocoque design twin-engine airplane, configured for a maximum of four occupants with a retractable landing gear. The airplane was powered by two Lycoming engines, an O-360-A1G6D (serial number L-32119-36A) and a LO-360-A1G6D (serial number L-552-71A), both rated at 180 horsepower, driving a two-bladed constant speed Hartzell propeller.

According to the airframe and engine logbooks, the airplane's most recent 100-hour/annual inspection was on April 2, 2005, with an airframe total time of 12,684.3 hours. The O-360-A1G6D (serial number L-32119-36A) and LO-360-A1G6D (serial number L-552-71A) engines were overhauled on May 4, 2005, and installed on the airframe on May 10, 2005, at an airframe total time of 12,718.6 hours.

An examination of the maintenance records for the airplane did not revealed any unresolved maintenance discrepancies prior to its last flight.

A fuel receipt from Holley's Jet Center, a local airport fixed base operator, on June 9, 2005, indicated that 26.9 gallons of 100-low lead aviation fuel was purchased to top off the airplane's two 50-gallon tanks. A fuel sample was taken by airport personnel on June 9, 2005, approximately 1630, and no anomalies were noted.


At 1553, the automated surface observing system at CXO reported wind from 150 degrees at 19 knots, visibility 10 statute miles, few clouds at 4,600 feet, temperature 34 degrees Celsius, dew point 21 degrees Celsius, barometric pressure at 29.82 inches of Mercury, with lightning in the distant north. The investigator in charge calculated the density altitude at 2,650 feet.


The Lone Star Executive Airport (CXO) is an uncontrolled airport. The field elevation is 245 feet mean sea level (msl), and is equipped with an automated surface observing system, a lighted wind indicator, and pilot controlled runway lighting on the common traffic advisory frequency during uncontrolled hours. The common traffic advisory frequency (CTAF) is 122.95 megahertz. The airport features two asphalt runways. Runway 14/32 is 6,000 feet long by 150 feet wide. Runway 1/19 is 3,974 feet long by 100 feet wide.


The main wreckage was located beside a residential house, approximately 1.2 miles southeast of CXO. The Global Positioning System (GPS) coordinates recorded at the accident site using a hand held GPS unit were latitude 30 degrees 20.23 minutes North and longitude 095 degrees 23.52 minutes West, at an elevation of approximately 218 feet msl. The airplane impacted terrain on a magnetic heading of 315 degrees, and came to rest upright on a measured heading of 340 degrees. The wreckage energy path measured approximately 45 feet in length.

An on-scene examination revealed that the airplane struck the top of a tree approximately 35-40 feet in height, before impacting a residence. The residence and the airplane were destroyed by a post-impact fire, but no ground injuries were reported.

The cabin area including avionics, fuselage, left wing, right wing, horizontal stabilizer, elevator, vertical stabilizer, and rudder were destroyed by the fire. The remains of all flight control cables were found at the accident site.

The left engine remained attached to its mounts and firewall, but was mostly buried under debris from the burned house. The propeller was found separated from the engine, with the flange portion of the crankshaft attached to the propeller hub. Both blades were about 85 percent consumed by fire.

The right engine remained attached to its mounts and firewall, but was burned away from the remainder of the nacelle. The propeller was found attached to the engine, with the outboard sections of both blades destroyed by fire. The right side of the engine was not visible at the accident site due to debris from the burned house.

On June 12, 2005, the wreckage was recovered to Air Salvage of Dallas (ASOD), near Lancaster, Texas, for further examination.


A post-impact fire consumed the airplane and the residence.


An autopsy was performed on June 10, 2005, by a forensic pathologist at the request of the Justice of the Peace, Montgomery County, Texas, in the Southwest Texas Forensic Center in Conroe, Texas. A toxicological laboratory report was also conducted for the Conroe Forensic Center.

Toxicological testing on the pilot was performed by the FAA's Civil Aeromedical Institute (CAMI) Forensic and Accident Research Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, for carbon monoxide, cyanide, volatiles, and drugs.


Examination of the engines and propellers was conducted on June 13, 2005, at ASOD by representatives of Lycoming Engines, Raytheon Aircraft, and Hartzell Propellers, under the supervision of the NTSB's IIC.

Examination of the left engine revealed that the #2 and #4 cylinder heads were burned away. The oil sump was burned away. Most of the accessory housing and accessories were consumed by fire. A three inch hole was found in the top portion of the crankcase above cylinder #4 intake tappet port and was found to be consistent with fire damage. The fuel system was destroyed by fire; however, the throttle plate was observed in the closed position. The left engine would not rotate freely by hand, but a lighted borescope examination verified continuity of the crankshaft, connecting rods, camshaft, and gear-drive.

The right engine accessory housing, accessories, and oil sump were consumed by fire. The intake system was destroyed by fire. The fuel system was destroyed by fire. The right engine would not rotate, and a lighted borescope was used to verify continuity of the crankshaft, connecting rods, camshaft, and gear-drive.

The left and right flap rod screw lengths of the electric flap mechanism (actuators) measured approximately 5 1/4 inches. According to Raytheon Aircraft, an extension of 6 inches of actuator travel indicates a flaps-up configuration.

Examination of the left propeller revealed that approximately 85 percent of the outboard portion of the propeller blades were destroyed by fire, and was separated aft of the propeller flange. The governor control lever was in the feather position, and the blades were in the feather position, with the pitch change rod bent between the forward side of the fork and the front hub bushing.

The right propeller remained attached to the hub. The propeller governor was destroyed by fire. One blade was bent aft and twisted toward low pitch. The outer portion of the other blade was melted. A witness mark was observed on the low pitch stop.


The wreckage was released to the owner's representative on June 13, 2005.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.