Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N824V accident description

Go to the Virginia map...
Go to the Virginia list...
Crash location Unknown
Nearest city Manassas, VA
38.750949°N, 77.475267°W

Tail number N824V
Accident date 07 Jun 1993
Aircraft type Beech B24R
Additional details: None

NTSB description

On Monday, June 7, 1993, at about 1618 eastern daylight time, N824V, a Beech B24R, owned by Bernard White of Reston, Virginia, and piloted by Carlton R. Croyle of Herndon, Virginia, crashed one mile southwest of Manassas Airport, Manassas, Virginia. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a VFR flight plan had been filed. The certificated private pilot and passenger were fatally injured. The airplane was destroyed by post impact fire. The business flight was conducted under 14 CFR 91. The destination was Newport, Rhode Island.

During takeoff from runway 16R, the pilot transmitted, "I'm gonna stay in the pattern once, my door just opened up." Tower personnel cleared him to land on runway 16R. The pilot acknowledged, and the tower personnel cleared him to land also on 34L. No other radio calls were received from the aircraft. The airplane struck the ground, cartwheeled and was destroyed by post impact fire.

Several witnesses saw the aircraft at low altitude before it made a steep right turn. One witness who was on the ramp area at the time stated that the airplane was, "seen taxiing to takeoff with the door opened...flying slow at a high angle of attack. I saw it fly about two thirds the length of the runway.... I would estimate 100 to 200 feet. It did not climb or began to turn right past the end of the runway... began to lost altitude at a rapid rate."


The pilot held a private certificate with an airplane single engine land rating. His total flight time as reported by a relative was about 100 hours including 40 hours in this make and model.


The 1973 year model Beech B24R, serial no MC 167, was equipped with a Lycoming IO 360 engine, serial no L10654 51A. The aircraft had over 1944 hours of total time, and had accumulated over 200 hours since the last annual inspection in June 1992. The aircraft was being used as transportation to conduct Navy business.


The surface weather observation 1 mile southwest of the accident site indicated the following at 1620 EDT:

Sky condition, 15000 scattered; visibility, 15 miles; temperature, 79 degrees (F); dew point, 53 degrees (F); wind condition, 230 degrees at 6 knots; altimeter setting, 30.00 inches.


The aircraft was examined at the accident site on June 7, 1993. Examination of the accident site revealed that the aircraft initially struck the ground on a magnetic heading of 280 degrees.

The ground damage indicates the right wingtip struck the ground first, and the airplane cartwheeled and was destroyed by post impact fire. The wreckage was strewn a distance of 34 yards.

Fragments of the right wingtip and pieces of green glass were located at the initial impact point (IIP). The right cabin door was located about 24 yards from the IIP and exhibited distortion along its forward edge, but no fire damage. The left cabin door was destroyed by fire along with portions of the fuselage and empennage area. The right side of the stabilator and stabilator trim was not damaged. The trim tab actuator measured 1 1/4 inches. This setting corresponds to a three degree down trim tab deflection.

The right wing exhibited minor fire damage and was separated from the fuselage just inboard of the right main landing gear attachment. The right flap was separated from the wing. The right aileron was attached to the wing. The right main landing gear was in the retracted position. The outboard portion of the right wing exhibited upward and aft distortion. The right wing leading edge exhibited chordwise crushing. The left wing was separated from the fuselage. It was also destroyed by fire. The left aileron and flap also separated from the wing.

The engine was removed from the accident site and was examined further at Dulles Aviation, Manassas Airport, on June 8, 1993. Examination of the engine revealed that it had separated from the fuselage due to impact forces, and there was also evidence of fire damage. The crankshaft was seized. The propeller mounting flange was bent. Engine control continuity was not confirmed. The throttle and mixture controls were in the full open and rich positions respectively. The propeller was attached to the engine and exhibited evidence of fire damage. Both of the blades were intact with the hub which had impact damage. One of the propeller blades exhibited aft tip curling, leading edge polishing, and chordwise scratching. The other propeller blade exhibited clockwise twisting, as viewed from the blade tip, and leading edge polishing.


An examination was done by the State of Virginia Office of the Medical Examiner on June 8, 1993. According to the Medical Examiner, the pilot died as a result of injuries received in the accident. Toxicological tests did not detect alcohol, drugs, or carbon monoxide.


According to the Aircraft Operating Guide, if a door becomes unlatched inflight, the door cannot be closed in flight and the pilot must return to the field in a normal manner.

The aircraft wreckage was released to the owner on June 9, 1993.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.