Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N293MA accident description

Go to the Wisconsin map...
Go to the Wisconsin list...
Crash location 43.769445°N, 87.851389°W
Reported location is a long distance from the NTSB's reported nearest city. This often means that the location has a typo, or is incorrect.
Nearest city Sheboygan, WI
43.784995°N, 87.766476°W
4.4 miles away

Tail number N293MA
Accident date 03 May 2002
Aircraft type Cessna 182S
Additional details: None

NTSB description


On May 3, 2002, at 1350 central daylight time, a Cessna 182S, N293MA, being flown by a private pilot, collided with the terrain following a loss of control during a go-around on runway 21 (5,399 feet by 100 feet, grooved concrete) at the Sheboygan County Memorial Airport (SBM), Sheboygan, Wisconsin. The private pilot received fatal injuries. Impact forces and a post impact fire destroyed the airplane. The 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight was operating in visual meteorological conditions without a flight plan. The flight originated from the Sheboygan County Memorial Airport, at approximately 1315.

There were several witnesses to the accident. One witness, who was a pilot, reported seeing N293MA during its approach. He reported N293MA appeared a little fast, but on a proper glide path for landing. He reported the airplane then began drifting to the right side of the runway. The witness continued to state that it appeared the pilot initiated a go-around. The witness reported the airplane maintained an altitude of 10-20 feet above the ground for a brief period after which it gained altitude and entered a shallow bank to a heading of about 240 degrees. The airplane continued to climb to an altitude of "no more than 200 feet" then it entered a 40-60 degree right bank. The witness reported the airplane continued in the steep bank, turning to a heading of about 020 degrees. He reported the airplane then began a descent and it started to "loose altitude rapidly." The witness reported he did not see any attempt to level the wings or stop the descent.

Another pilot witness, who was standing outside, reported the airplane departed runway 21. At an altitude of about 50 feet above the ground, the airplane began to bank to the right. He reported that the bank progressively got steeper. This witness reported, "The plane was too low to be banking this quickly." He reported that the airplane was in a near 90 degrees bank when he lost sight of it behind the trees. He reported the airplane was developing "good power" and there was no sputtering of the engine.

In a telephone interview, another pilot reported seeing the accident. He stated he saw the airplane at an altitude of about 100 feet above the ground. He said the airplane continued down the runway then it made a right turn near the intersection of runway 31. The turn continued until the airplane paralleled the south side of runway 31. He stated the airplane continued to parallel the runway until it reached the end of the runway at which time it made another right turn and descended into the terrain. He reported that it appeared to him that all the turns were coordinated. He reported that he did not see the flaps extended, nor did he notice any major aileron deflections. He stated that he did not become concerned with the angle of bank until the last turn.

Another pilot witness who was sitting in an airplane at the end of runway 21 reported the airplane touched down on the runway and the pilot initiated a go-around to the right. The airplane stayed parallel with runway 13-31 on a west heading in a slight right bank. He reported the bank increased as the airplane went along the runway. He reported the airplane then lost altitude and impacted the field, right wing first.

Another pilot witness in an airplane at the end of the runway reported he was not sure if the airplane actually touched down on the runway or not. He reported seeing the airplane gain altitude and start a right turn. He reported, "The aircraft was established in a bank - I believe he then went level flight and crashed nose down."


The pilot, age 61, held a private pilot certificate with an instrument rating. His private pilot certificate was issued on July 4, 1968, and the instrument rating was added on May 20, 2000. The pilot held a third class medical certificate dated September 25, 2001. This certificate contained the restriction, "Holder shall wear lenses that correct for distant vision and posses glasses that correct for near vision."

The pilot's logbooks were not located after the accident. Pieces of burned paper, similar to that found in a logbook, were found in the wreckage. The pilot reported having 360 hours of flight time at the time of his last airmen medical examination on September 25, 2001. According to others who knew the pilot, he primarily flew N293MA since he purchased it. Records provided by Magnus Aviation show the pilot had flow N293MA 46.4 hours since October 2001. This would give the pilot a total flight time of approximately 406 hours.

According to records supplied by Magnus Aviation, the pilot completed his last biennial flight review on May 20, 2000.

Employees of Magnus Aviation reported that the pilot would frequently come to the airport during the day to fly the airplane if someone else didn't schedule it. An employee of Magnus Aviation, who saw the pilot just prior to the flight, stated that he appeared in good health, was in good spirits and, was happy to be going flying.


The aircraft was a Cessna 182S, serial number 18280228. N293MA had a tachometer time of 1464.4 hours prior to the accident flight. According to logbook records, the airplane received its last annual inspection on April 25, 2002, at a tachometer time of 1,463 hours.

The airplane was powered by a 230-horsepower Lycoming IO-540-AB1A5 engine. Logbook records show the engine received its last annual inspection on October 26, 2000, at a tachometer time of 1,047.4 hours. A 100-hour inspection was completed on April 25, 2002 at a tachometer time of 1,463 hours.

The airplane had been flown 1.4 hours since the annual inspection on April 25, 2002.

The airplane was last refueled on April 29, 2002, with 17.4 gallons of 100 low lead aviation fuel.

The accident pilot was part owner of the airplane. He and two other partners purchased the airplane when it was new. The airplane was on a lease back agreement with Magnus Aviation.


The aviation routine weather report (METAR) at SBM showed the following weather conditions existed at 1353.

Wind: 150 degrees magnetic at 9 knots Visibility: 10 statute miles Sky Condition: Clear Temperature: 10 degrees centigrade Dew Point: -1 degree centigrade Altimeter: 30.15 inches of mercury


The accident occurred on airport property at the southeast corner of the intersection of Highland Road and Woodland Road. The wreckage was located at a point that was approximately 1,000 feet north of the departure end of runway 31.

The initial ground scar was 50 feet long on a heading of 070 degrees. A portion of green glass was found in the ground scar, as was the right wing position/strobe light assembly. A 25-foot tall tree was located on the north side of the ground scar. There were freshly broken branches in the tree at a height of about 20 feet. A distinguishable gouge in the terrain was visible near the end of this initial ground scar. The left main cabin door was located approximately 20 feet from the end of the initial ground scar. The left wing position/strobe light assembly containing pieces of red glass, was located approximately 25 feet from the door, further along the wreckage path. The main wreckage came to rest about 35 feet from the left wing position/strobe light assembly.

The airplane came to rest upright in an open plowed field. The upper portion of the airplane from the firewall aft to just behind the rear seats was destroyed by fire. The floor of the cabin area was damaged by the fire, although intact. The engine remained attached to its mounts, which remained partially attached to the firewall. The main landing gear remained intact with the carry through in place under the cockpit floor. The wheel pants had separated from the landing gear. The right main wheel/tire assembly was intact. The tire was burned off of the left main gear. The nose gear was bent rearward under the wreckage. The fire destroyed the seat upholstery with only the seat frames remaining. The left front seat was found outside the wreckage. The remaining seats were still in their respective positions. All of the cockpit instrumentation was destroyed. The fuel selector was on the "Both" position. The remains of the mixture, throttle, and propeller controls appeared to be in the full forward position.

The floor of the cockpit was burned through aft of the rear seats. The aft 11 feet of the aft fuselage was damaged but remained intact. The vertical stabilizer, rudder, left horizontal stabilizer, and the left side of the elevator contained little damage. The outboard 4 feet of the right horizontal stabilizer and elevator were bent upward at a 40-degree angle. Flight control continuity was established from both the elevator and rudder to the cockpit controls. The elevator trim tab was in the neutral position, however, the trim cable had been pulled during the impact sequence.

The left wing was located in an inverted position along the left side of the main wreckage. The wing spar sustained severe fire/heat damage. The wingtip was separated. The left fuel tank was burnt through with only the upper portion of the tank intact. The fuel cap was in place. The section of the wing outboard of the fuel tank sustained heat/fire damage. The flight control cables were separated near the inboard section of the wing. The separated cables exhibited "broom straw" signatures. Continuity of the cables was established from the fractured ends outboard to the flight control attachments and inboard to the cockpit flight controls.

The right wing was located inverted and forward of the cockpit. The wing strut was intact, but separated from the wing at the attach point. Heat/fire damage was visible in the attachment area. The wing was separated into two pieces. The flight control cables were separated and they exhibited "broom straw" signatures. Continuity of the cables was verified. Measurement of the flap jackscrew indicated the flaps were in the retracted position. The aileron autopilot controller was destroyed by fire.

The airplane had a three bladed propeller. One blade was relatively intact and was bent under the engine. The second blade was bent rearward and it was twisted. The tip of this blade was melted. The third blade was bent rearward and slightly twisted. The tip of this blade had separated. The separated tip was found in the wreckage. Two of the three blades were loose in the propeller hub.

The upper and lower engine cowlings were consumed by fire. The engine had sustained both impact and fire/heat damage. The engine was removed from the wreckage to a hangar for examination. The engine had sustained fire and heat damage. The fuel servo was separated from the engine. The cylinder head covers were removed, as were the top spark plugs. The spark plugs were clean and not worn.

The propeller initially could not be turned completely through because of binding of the ring gear and starter. The starter was removed and the propeller was loosened so that it could moved forward to free it from binding. The propeller was then turned by hand and thumb compression was achieved on all cylinders. Engine continuity was established to the accessory housing and movement of the intake and exhaust valves was noted with the exception of the number five cylinder intake valve, which had a bent pushrod. A light boroscope was used to inspect the inside of all the cylinders and the piston heads. No discrepancies were noted.

The impulse couplings inside the magnetos were heard to snap when the engine was turned by hand; however, sparks were not observed on the magneto leads. The magnetos were removed from the engine and opened up. The internal parts of both magnetos were melted.


An autopsy was performed on the pilot at the Sheboygan County Morgue, Sheboygan, Wisconsin, on May 4, 2002.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Civil Aeromedical Institute (CAMI), Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, prepared a Forensic Toxicology Fatal Accident Report. The toxicology results for the pilot were negative for all tests performed. An undigested tablet/cap was found during the autopsy. This tablet/cap was tested by CAMI and determined to be salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is a substance commonly found in aspirin.


The wreckage was released to a representative of Magnus Aviation, Inc. on May 4, 2002. Parties to the investigation were the FAA, Textron Lycoming, and Cessna Aircraft Company.

(c) 2009-2018 Lee C. Baker / Crosswind Software, LLC. For informational purposes only.