Plane crash map Find crash sites, wreckage and more

N1498G accident description

Go to the Utah map...
Go to the Utah list...

Tail numberN1498G
Accident dateJuly 04, 1994
Aircraft typeP-35(AF)
Beech P35(NTSB)
LocationCedar City, UT
Near 37.68333 N, -112.85 W
Additional details: BURNED COLOR -

NTSB description


On July 4, 1994, about 1443 hours mountain daylight time (MDT), a Beech P35, N1498G, being flown by a certificated private pilot, was substantially damaged when it collided with terrain about 15 miles east of Cedar City, UT. The pilot and passenger were both fatally injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan had been filed. The flight originated from Cedar City, UT on July 4, 1994, shortly before the accident.

A man identifying himself as the pilot of N1498G received a briefing from the Cedar City Flight Service Station (FSS)at about 1025 hours on July 4, 1994. The pilot indicated his final destination was Lee's Summit, MO. The briefing was abbreviated at the pilot's request. Later that day, between 1400 and 1430 hours, an employee of the FSS saw a yellow Bonanza aircraft, similar to the accident aircraft, depart the airport on runway 20 and turn left onto an easterly heading. There was no radio contact with the aircraft for either taxi or departure. The FSS also received a call later from a witness about 4-5 miles east of the airport who reported a yellow Bonanza flying over his house eastbound. The witness, who is also a pilot, reported the aircraft was not even up to pattern altitude. The FSS employee who received this call did not record the name of the witness but said he remembered the conversation with the caller. The FSS recorded "two sweeps" of an Emergency Locator Transmitter at 1443. At 1501 an ELT signal was picked up by satellite.

The aircraft was reported missing when it did not arrive at its intended destination. It was located on July 7, 1994, in mountainous terrain about 15 miles east of the airport.


No flight logs were located for the pilot so the times contained in this report were based on FAA medical records. Since 1982 the pilot reported 9000+ hours as his total time during his medical examinations. The pilot was a physician designated as a airman medical examiner. The pilot's medical records indicate his weight was 230 pounds. The passenger's drivers license lists her weight as 135 pounds.


The aircraft had all four tanks topped off with 71 gallons of fuel on 7/2/94. On 7/4/94, prior to departure the aircraft was serviced with one quart of oil. There were no known flights of the aircraft between its refueling on 7/2/94 and its departure on 7/4/94. Total fuel capacity for this aircraft was 110 gallons of fuel. According to the aircraft logbook the empty weight as of 8/12/93 was 2012 pounds. Estimated aircraft weight at takeoff was:

Empty weight 2012 Fuel 660 Pilot 230 Passenger 135 Cargo 190 Total 3227

The certificated gross weight for the aircraft is 3125 pounds.


The aircraft wreckage was located at an altitude of about 8200 feet in forested mountainous terrain east of Cedar City, UT. The coordinates were 37-37-62 north and 112-51-09 West . The wreckage was scattered on a heading of about 110 degrees for about 415 feet. The first pieces of wreckage were about 55 feet west of the crest of a ridge line. There were then pieces of wreckage scattered from the ridge line down an approximate 34 degree slope to the main wreckage. All major airframe components were at the accident site. Due to extensive impact damage, control continuity could not be established for all flight controls. Of the flight control systems that were not separated, control continuity was established. One propeller blade was observed to be bent back with heavy polishing of the leading edge and some chordwise scratches. The second blade had some polishing with a forward "s" bend and chordwise scratches.

Camping and miscellaneous equipment on board the aircraft were estimated at 190 pounds.


An autopsy was performed by the Utah Office of the Medical Examiner on 7/8/94. Cause of death was listed as multiple blunt force injuries due to the airplane crash. Toxicology testing for drugs, carbon monoxide, cyanide and volatiles. All tests were negative except for Pseudoephedrine and Ephedrine.


The engine was taken to a maintenance facility and examined. There was no evidence of preimpact failures observed in the structure or the ignition and fuel systems.

Salt Lake Center advised that they did not have any radar data on the flight of this aircraft.


The wreckage was released to Midwest Aviation Adjustment Bureau, Inc. on July 21, 1994. The aircraft at that time was still at the accident location except for the engine which was at a maintenance facility at the Cedar City Airport.

(c) 2009-2011 Lee C. Baker. For informational purposes only.